HybridZ

Chassis Dilemma

Since I cant work on my car right now I've been pondering exactly where to start on it. I've heard from quite a few people that I should take my time and go through the entire car, rather than throw together a poor example of a Hybrid. So, I'm trying to get some advice or at least a different perspective on how I should attack this. The major point of this whole post is to ask, should I build a new tube chassis for the car or not?

That little bit of info wont do you any good so here's the deal. I have a 1979 280zx thats in baaaad shape(follow the link in my sig for pics). I need to rebuild more than half of the unibody due to rust and general neglect from previous owners. and to do that I need to strip the entire car. So I was thinking (here it comes...) While I'm at it I might as well build a chassis for the car, that way I dont have to worry about the strength of the car when I chop the top. Yeah, I want to make it a convertable. Compound that with my engine choice, a BMW V12, and you've got yourself quite a strength testing little beastie.

With a lack of top its going to need some reinforcement, so it Has to have some sort of roll bar. I just need help deciding if I want to rebuild and strengthen the existing unibody or if I want to start from scratch with a new chassis. The chassis opens up the possibility of having different suspensions, or even a solid rear axle. It also would make it easier to tub the car.

Considering the engine which has a stock hp/torque output around 350/350 and a potential around 1000/1000(citing a quote from Mclaren), and knowing my own attitude of 'Exactly How Much power can I get?' The car is going to need all the strength I can give it. I know the tube chassis will add a considerable amout of length to the project, cause a large set of headaches, and tack on quite a bit of additional cost. Which is why I'm throwing this question out to the masses. Should I build a new chassis specifically designed to take the stress of no top and lots of horsepower, or rebuild the car and modify the existing unibody to meet my requirements?

Does anyone else find it hard to decide what to do with your car? I've had this car for a little over three months and I've gone through more decisions than I care to remember! Thanks for the help.

Please don't take this personally, but if you possess the skills, experience and resources to complete this project in a reasonable amount of time (years, not decades) and reasonable cost (10's of thousands $, not hundreds of thousands $), then you probably already know what strategy is best, without needing advice from others.

That said, the general consensus is to ALWAYS start with a solid car as the basis for your hybrid, rather than repairing a severely ailing car. Repairing a car in poor condition - for purposes of becoming a reliable, high-performance vehicle - only makes sense if the particular car happens to be very rare, or your access to other candidate cars is severely limited.

Well I'm the kind of guy that likes to hear advice from those older/wiser/more experienced than I. I'm also the kind of guy that doesn't shrug off an old rusty car as too far gone. I'm willing to spend the extra time and money to bring this car back. and while I may not be the most experienced guy in the world, I've always been told that the only way to learn is to do it.

edit: Okay nevermind you can relegate this thread to the achives. I've decided to build a new chassis for the car because I'd rather be safe than dead. If this thing has to stand 1000hp I want a new chassis underneath me. I guess I just needed to think out loud. Thanks.