HybridZ

Turbo noise

naplesZ

I drove a jdm spec wrx a while back and every time I shifted I could here the bearing from the turbo . I asked the owner and he said it had a ball bearing turbo and that the waste gate dumped into the exhaust. Which of course had a huge muffler on it. I guess my question is what should it sound like ? Should you here anything or is that sound normal ? It reminded me of an old skateboard with dirty wheels and bearings. needless to say I didn't buy the car cause it was a disappointment. I guess to much time reading magazines about non stock wrx's .

If its got its wg dump back into the exhaust, it should just sound like a normal turbo car. I dont think Ball bearing turbos sound different, they just spool faster for a given sized turbo. Might be a very thin walled exhaust, or a blade touching the compressor housing. Buying modified cars is a gamble sometimes.

The only thing I can compare it to is an old skateboard wheel. I know very little about turbos, but my uneducated mine leads me to think the bearing might be bad. The reason I mentioned the wastegate was because I only heard the noise when I pushed In the clutch between shifts. I think that is when the wastegate or blow off valve would come into effect.

wastegate only operates when your foot is ON the gas. its purpose is to bleed off excess exhaust gas pressure so the turbine doesn't spin faster and produce more pressure than it should

blow off valve operates when either there's too much boost pressure while on the gas, or when your foot is off the gas, and the turbo keeps spinning down and building pressure.

Maybe it's just the sound the blow off valve is making... they all make different sounds: my friend put in mopar blow off plate on his srt4, and the thing sounded like truck air brakes when you let off. Swapped it out for an HKS ssqv unit, and it sounded like a high pitched whine being released