HybridZ

boost controller troubles

Guest Chris240turbo

Guest Chris240turbo

Need some help here, I'm running a 42mm turbonetics racegate on my new set up, controlled by a greddy profec B, with my old integral WG, the controller worked flawlessly, however, I just went for a drive, and somethings not jiving with the new external/profec combo, I hooked the controller up today, set the DIP switches to 4 up 3 and 2 down, and 1 up, and now I get no boost control at all, even with the controller switched off (!), about gave me a heart attack when the boost came up in 2nd, I had one eye on the LM1 and boost gauge, rolled into the throttle and hit about 20 psi in an instant! on a positive note, the LM1 went full rich, as I had bumped up the higher boost map in the E6K several percent, as a bit of a cushion, on a negative note, I'm certainly going to need far more tire than 225s if I'd like to have any traction, although the tires are brand new, maybe still a little slick?

Anyway, hooked the WG back up to a port, went for a drive, and 6 psi (base spring) is all I get, I have the "In" profec line running from a vacuum port to the solenoid box, and the "out" line running from the box to the lower racegate port, upper racegate port is open to atmosphere, I'm stumped, as I seem to have lost the profec instruction manual. any ideas?

Put the line from the top of the wastegate to the OUT port on the servo and the bottom line from the wastgate to the intake manifold.

At least that's how I'm reading the instructions.

Switches for normal boost using external wastegate are 1 off, 2 on, 3 on & 4 off

When overboost occurs, they should be 1 off, 2 on, 3 off, & 4 on.

Although this link is not Nissan related, it does have a great diagram of the installation and switch settings.

Profec B Installation Diagram

Seems contrary to Tial's instructions: Click on Waste Gates, then Instructions

Hope it helps.

Warren

Guest Chris240turbo

Thanks everyone, got the problem figured out, apparently the Profec limits pressure to the atmosphere (top) side of an external WG, opposite of an internal, which I ran for years before. makes perfect sense, now that I've seen the diagram, anyway, thanks again, high boost impressions to come soon!