HybridZ

How can you tell if the Power Transitor is bad?

Thumper

Lately I have had a speratic miss will driving and once in awhile the car has died and would not start. But when I go back to it 30 minutes later it will start. I think I have traced the problem to a faulty power transistor. Before I shell out the $150 that the dealer wants I would like to be 200% sure though. The only symptom I have that other people have not had is during the 30 minutes the car would not start I could connect the power wire (black/white) while the other wire was already connected to the transistor and the coil would fire. But then when I would try to start the car the coil would not fire. My fuel pump primes and my injectors fire so its not the EFI relay. Let me know if you think it is the transistor if not then what else should I check. Thanks for you time.

Ted

is it heat related?

Shuts down when hot?

if so a can of Radio Shack Component Cooler will tell you straightaway if that is the culprit. If it's hot and doesn't start, spray the freez-it onto the suspect component, and see if it starts then...

I got myself home from a road test with six cans of freez-it one day. Advice, when you go for a troubleshooting test drive, never say "Man, it's a nice day, it's running good today, heck, lets go for a little ride!" BAD IDEA!