HybridZ

P90A valve seal change?

cygnusx1

Sorry guys, I don't have the FSM for the 83 motor with the hydraulic lifters. I am about to change the valve seals. I have the VC off, I have the new viton seals, the valve spring compressor tool, and a spark plug fitting for my compressor to keep the valves from falling in. How do I get the rocker arms out of the way on the hydraulic head so I can compress the valve springs and release the retainers? I don't want to guess blindly so any info might help.

Thanks.

Compress the valves, slide the rockers arms to one side (with the tool i made, it was easier to slide the lifter side) and remove the rocker arms, force air into the cylinder, compress valve again...this time just the spring to remove keepers, remove keeper-spring-spacer, pop old seals off and slide new one one. Just make sure the new seals are all the way down. Mine kind of "popped" when they were fully seated. Good luck.

Jersey thanks, I changed all the seals in about an hour and an half. The rockers had a small divet across each face but thats probably because they are hydraulic and the center part of the lobe rides the lifters 70% of the time. The wipe patterns look dead centered and even all across. I took a macro photo of the rockers at 120K miles. The old seals were very brittle but were still intact. I pressed down the new Ford Capri, Viton seals with a tube, until they bottomed out. Even though the rockers had that divet in them, I made the executive decision to put them back in the motor. It ran fine and quiet before, and they all show even wear. Plus, they are easy to change if I have to at a later date.

I am working on posting the rocker photo.

Nice job cygnusx1. I must have missed a previous post of your concerning these "Ford Capri, Viton seals" Are they something special? My cousins Z now has some puffs of smoke coming through the valve cover breather which may be seal blolw-by, so i may have to change his again. We replaced his worn out stock ones last year with just standard seals, just wondering if they're shot again.

Yeah there was a thread on here somewhere about the Ford Capri seals fitting our Z's. Viton is a tough material, far superior to buna. Not to mention I got them from partsamerica.com for about $19 for the whole set. We will see if they work. I have more work to do before I drive it. I have to retorque all the intake and exhaust manifold bolts, change the diff, convert to CV shafts, and install the AZC Big brakes front and rear...also the 12" of snow needs to melt and the salt needs to rinse off the roads.

My Z here in NJ sits waiting for the snow and salt to disappear as well. Seems like the longest winter, with more to come this week. Still need a trans, a windshield and some new rubber. Just received a good tax return and i think the wife is letting 2k go into the Z :) It's a start anyway. When you log in a little time in with those seals, let me know how they hold up if you would.

Well, I put the parts back on the motor today after doing a once-over on all the hose clamps and bolts on the entire engine. I just checked them all as preventative maintenance. Good thing I did. I found one exhaust manifold bolt loose, a leaking heater hose clamp, all the injector hose clamps were very loose, the radiator clamps were also loose. That happens when you use new hoses. Anyhow....to the point. I fired it up and let it warm up for about 10 minutes, rev'd it up and shut it down. I then started it up again about 1/2 hour later. Both times it smoked and smelled ALOT LESS than it used to. It seems to run much cleaner and also seemed to idle super smooth. So far so good with the viton seals. Onto jackstands tomorrow for the MAJOR brake and drivetrain overhaul! I will report again once I put some miles on the valve seals.