HybridZ

I am need a welder TIG or MIG? I have questioins.

cyrus

I am need a welder TIG or MIG? I have questioins. First I would like weld mostly steel but some aluminum, but my work has a tig so maybe that would be sufficient to fab a few parts there. I have been looking at the miller 180 syncrowave SD. I want to know if 180 amps is enough and will I be wanting more features soon. My other choice is to go with a mig this would save about $900. Welders what do you think would be the most useful?

Guest JAMIE T

The TIG is the most versatile. Aluminum requires ALOT of power to weld since it dissapates heat much faster than steel. Welding aluminum is about power and speed. Get in HOT and out fast. That is true for MIG or TIG. If you can afford it, get a Miller Dynasty 200 TIG. It features pulse technology and makes welding aluminum gravy. If you just want to weld body panels, and roll bars and do rust repairs, etc... Basic fabrication, then get a 210 or larger MIG and a spool gun to weld aluminum with. You won't be sorry you got he bigger machine. I have a Millermatic 250 and a 30A spool gun. I can weld aluminum and switch to steel without doing anything else. I have a tank of argon and a tank of 75/25 mix gas. I also have a Millermatic 135 which I use for basically everything car chassis/body related. I also have a Miller Syncrowave 350 TIG that will weld anything. I keep Argon for aluminum, 75/25 for steel, and tri-mix for welding stainless.

Recently picked up Thermo Arc 185 TSW TIG inverter. Does pulse and true square wave AC output. Works great. The max alum thickness I can weld properly is .187 without pre heating Cost $1100 demo unit. Also have a 110 volt Century MIG which does steel .187 max. If you ask me there is not one welder that will do everything. If you are just starting out I would go MIG unless you are already comfortable with a regular oxy/gas torch.