HybridZ

Y does my car do this to me

Another problem, my 280ZX won't start, this time its getting gas and everything, but the coil won't even send a spark, the wiring is all hooked up-but when i crank the engine it won't spark. everything else is perfect, it just won't send a spark- i used a test lite to check the wiring, and it all checks out fine, and i just replaced the coil and everything-it should b working-wht could b rong this time?

Mine used to do that also...I would vote that it is most likely your ignition module, the black box on the side of the distributor. Mine was random, and very frustrating.

Of course, check all your fuses, connections, etc first...

Joshua

Guest tony78_280z

I assume you have checked for spark at the coil (not from the dizzy to a plug) to rule this out. You are positive it is not your module (most people have this go bad) and You have checked your connections to be sure they are getting current when they are suposed to and are grounding when they are suposed to. So in my opinion that leaves a bad coil. Of course, some more knowledgeable guy is gonna post immediatly after me with no less than 5 other things that could be at fault and make me look like a moron.

Isnt't 25+ year old elctronics a joy to work with?

i had just replaced the coil this morning, and im checking for spark from the coil. I've already fixed the module-so thats not it, it was working fine a few days ago, but then it dropped idle and died, and it hasn't started since, its not getting any spark from the coil-my plugs were all fouled-but im not getting any spark.

Guest tony78_280z

Why did you replace the coil? Did you old coil work? Could you have a bad/wrong coil? When did you replace the module? Are you SURE you got everything hooked up correctly again?

Modules have been known to go bad again if they are not grounded good. Can you test the module in some way? Got a warranty on it?

Go over everything you did since it worked last. I was recently overhauled me HEI dizzy. (replacing the module, condensor, coil,and wiring harness) When I had it assembled I had no spark. I tore it down and rebuilt it twice, once with the new parts again, then once with the old parts. Still no spark. I tested all my wires for power and ground. Still no spark. I was about to throw the whole thing in the pond when I realized the rotor was still sitting on the cowl. It was spinning but not sparking. Could you have done something equally as stupid?

I just went through this with my ign module. I replaced it a few months back and all was well.. Until 2 weeks ago? approx? It seems it has gone bad already. I'd give the module a whack! and the car would then start and run again.

I replaced the cap rotor, wires to no avail. got another dizzy this week. and replaced the whole thing.. runs and starts fine now.

ign module or not. if it doesn't work right, you WILL NOT get spark out of the coil.

I had NO spark at the coil. changed ign module (in my case the first time, the second time i replaced the whole dizzy) car instantly had spark at the coil again.

good luck.

1. is there power to the coil? (12V)

if yes

2. does the coil wire carry current (hook a timing light to it, turn it over) Try to get just the coil wire to spark. (if no skip to 4)

if yes

3. replace cap and rotor (new ones), check for spark at the plugs

if no

4. does the rotor spin? (take off the cap and watch it while turning over)

if yes

5. replace the ignition module again, spark?

If no, your computer may be bad, but check all connections and remove and sand and retorque your engine ground before doing anything else.