HybridZ

What do you guys think? (really basic engine opinions)

Guest KEINoze

Guest KEINoze

I know I still have a lot more to save up for engine modifications to my car. This also means I have a lot more time to weigh the options. Please note that I have very limited experience working with the 240Z, so please feel free to criticize me.

Basically, I only need as much power to have the option of powersliding out of a turn. With my stock L24, that ain't gonna happen without dropping the clutch at high revs.

I don't know exactly how much more power I need to do it. I'm not looking for faster 1/4 mile times. I just need enough power to break the rear tires loose to induce power oversteer on a race track. What's a good estimate of the power I would need?

My car is fully stock with the exception of the 280ZX NA drivetrain.

To keep it simple and economical, I'm thinking about just doing headwork: mild cam, port work, increasing compression ratio, modifying my SU's.

I'm not entirely sure if I'll get enough power.

Next option is using an F54 block with flattop pistons then swapping in my L24 crank and rods. I'll have a "destroker" with 2.6 liters of displacement. Basically a bored out L24. I like the idea of having the "free revving" characteristic of an L24.

Would I need any head work (besides larger valves) to get the power I need from this option?

Final option is the L28ET swap. I want to avoid this if at all possible. I'd be sacrificing throttle response for that added turbo power. I can have a stock setup with stock power. Or I can get flattop pistons and do a high compression turbo setup with a large intercooler and low boost.

Which of the above options do you guys think would be the best choice for me (a budget limited college student)? Obviously I am taking gas mileage in mind too. I only want as much power as I need . . . for now, at least!

I appreciate the help!

welcome to the world of Z cars.

Are you looking to be able to 'drift' a corner or just power out?

If you use the feint drift approch a stock l28 will more than easily slide the arse out in the right gear. and in most cases it will also have a nice power over steer.

I would say to get a l28 efi or carb, get a nice exauhst and get the whole thing well tuned with an LSD and you sould achieve your goal.

I noticed how you said enough for now, well in this case i would go straight to the L28et now cos it will save you money in the long run.

Guest KEINoze

Believe it or not, I've owned my Z for over a year. I just haven't paid any attention to the engine at all. I was doing a lot of research on suspension, brakes, and the chassis. I need to complete those three before I am satisfied to move onto the engine! Two of the three are nearly complete.

I'm not looking for a fancy drift car setup. I just need enough to power out of turns on road courses. I want to have the convinience of correcting understeer with some power oversteer. I'm not looking for smoking tires or extreme angle drifts!

Perhaps a F54 block w/ flattops with a N42 head from a Maxima would suffice?

Did the Maxima head already come with the larger valves needed for the L28?

When I graduate from school and start earning money fulltime, I'm going to go with an RB25DET. I always had that vision from the beginning--vintage car with a modern powerplant. This project is obviously too overwhelming for me at this moment!

I met a 240Z owner that had the F54 block with the L24 crank and rods swapped in. He also had the N42 Maxima head with triple Solexes.

Minus the Solexes, this is what I want to do if it has the power I need. Of course, it'll lack the low end torque of a standard L28.

It all depends on the TIRES. I was running 9.5" slicks and an LSD and JUST got to the point where I couldn't mash the gas around every corner on the track. I realized the last time I went out that it was the first time I ever needed throttle control ever. I have about ~240 whp. If I were running skinnier tires I would have gotten there much sooner.

I would say that if you put a maxima N47 head on a de-stroked L28, with a decent cam, then had your SU's tuned, you'd be set. I think the legendary Norm the 12 sec dual SU dude was pulling 13.5's out of his old L24 before he went to the L28/L29 set up. The power is def. there.

If you found a tripple weber or solex or mikuni set up, you'd definately be set. I recently had mine tuned on a car Im trying to sell and I must say, the thing is DAMN fast. Its a real weapon. Its got the characteristic bog when you stab it but, it only stumbles for about 1/2 a sec, then it launches like a rocket. You can pick up sets for under $600 if you keep a vigilant eye on ebay.

Mack

Guest KEINoze

Thanks for the input. Those were very helpful.

The widest tire I plan to use is 205mm street tires. So there is not much grip there.

I'll try to gather the parts needed for that destroker concept! It'll be at least a year before it's complete but I know I'll need additional advice along the way. (i.e. cam specs, timing specs, etc.)

I'm sure I'll find the info in the archives though.