HybridZ

Aftermarket Timing kit for L28et

Joedatsun

I am replacing the timing components on my L28et after redoing my P90 head. Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket timing sets which are sold on ebay and elsewhere? Just wondering what the quality is like compared to Nissan parts.

Joe

I saw one with a aftermarket kit being assembled just yesterday, no idea how it will hold up compared to a Nissan one but I did notice one thing. You know how the chain has two gold colored links to set up your timing marks? Well I guess this supplier (don't know which one) was too cheap to make different colored links. Instead you have to count the links and make sure there are 42 links between the marks on the crank and cam gears.

Guest Aaron

I don't know about the timing chains, but I only use factory timing belts when I replace them because they only cost a few dollars more and they have the correct timing marks on them. I'll take fewer hassles instead of a few dollars.

I used an NOS bap geon timing kit and the quality was awesome. I have had no experience with a Nissan timing kit, but this kit was way higher than my standards. It had the different colored links and everthing. In fact, the cam gear and chain still have a blueish tint on it that it had from when i got it, and its been in the engine for a good 10,000 miles. Just look for a quality aftermarket kit, I'd say Beck arnely... or bap geon if you can find it.

-Oliver

I used a Beck Arnley timing kit in the L28 I rebuilt years ago. The quality was great. I don't remember how the chain marks were done, I am thinking though that there were dimples on te side of the chain. Anyways, I do not remember having to count links.

I ordered the set from PepBoys.

Joshua