HybridZ

Motor went Boom.

Guest Drive-ability

The 95 had true throttle body injection, IE, two injectors sitting out of the manifold. Then came CPI central port injection, one large injector connected to 8 pop pit valves which open at 50 PSI, then the true multi port system was 8 individual injectors fitted into a central support like the CPI but fired sequentially. I don’t have any idea what manifold/head combo will work with that set up. I think however the Caprice / Road master had a 5.7 if that helps, and it came with the same fuel system you have in your truck.

Please forgive my denseness. Does that mean the '95 TBI intake manifold won't bolt up to the '96 and up vortec heads?

Dan, I believe you'd have to do some modifications...

If that is not within your time constraints, you'd be better off with just another '95 long block. I also have a '95 Suburban and have often thought about doing a 383 swap---there is a smog legal 383 motor for the '95 and earlier Chevy trucks often advertised by a Bay Area motor place or Chevy Dealer. Grab a DRIVE! magazine next time you go into Pep Boys, Kragen, or just about any Bay Area auto parts place. They aren't too expensive, but that is relative!!!!

Davy

The 96-99 Vortec heads have a slightly different bolt set up. This is actually a negative as the one area they fall short is in intake gasket failure. The heads are infinitely better flow wise. A Vortec 5.7 Sub will blow your 95 in the weeds, comparatively speaking. You can run an aftermarket intake with a TBI adapter from Turbo city. It won't work quite as well as the CPI (central port injection) of the factory setup, but will be much better than the factory motor of your 95 (especially the current one!) But if getting it done with minimum fuss/hassle your best bet is to just put a long block in it.

The LS based motors are completely different. If a new vehicle was in the works, now might be a good time to upgrade to a 2000 or newer Sub with the 5.4 or 6.0 liter motors which make much more power and get better mileage than the older motors.

Thanks Mike, that sounds like the best solution. I'll find a good '96-'99 vortec motor, add a mild cam, performer manifold and the TBI adapter. This should give the beast a healthy increase in power with minimal cost and still pass smog without trouble.

Thanks guys, I knew you would help. :2thumbs:

You may want to do a little research on cam sizes. The Vortec truck motors are the first roller cam motors that made it into trucks I'm pretty sure. It may be that a factory LT1 roller is a little bigger than the truck cam and you could get a used one from a Camaro/Firebird for pennies.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Well you guys are beyond helpfull.

I'm glad you have a goal set now and already have some of the parts lined up! That combo should wake it up without making it irritatingly cammy. She'll love it!

Dan ...

sorry to be a party pooper ...

don't know if anyone mentioned this to you ....

to remain smog legal ...

you may only use a 95 or newer engine in the sub ...

plus ...

here's the exciting part ...

it must be an engine that was offered in that chassis ...

in other words ... you may not run a passenger car engine in a truck,

you may not run a truck engine in a passenger car ...

now, the smog station may not check this ... may not care ...

so, your best bet is to modify the block you have and upgrade the heads for

better breathing ... but be advised, strictly speaking, that too is illegal ...

but, then again, so is using water cooler to drop the temp of your coolant, or

changing to a thermostat, or anything else that changes from the original

temp settings at which the engine was smog certified at ... ( throws off the computer. it's programmed to do certain things at certain temps )

sorry to rain on the parade ...

again, inspector may not notice or care ...

but if you sell it ... you must notify the buyer and get buyer to sign a waiver, should buyer ever not pass smog and they determine that you have "tampered' with the engine and smog controls ... you may ( most likely will ) be liable to make it correct.

...you may only use a 95 or newer engine in the sub ....it must be an engine that was offered in that chassis...

I think the Vortec that he plans to run is a 'truck' engine, so to speak, certainly newer then his '95, and the LT1 cam will only be known by the sniffer test, which it will pass without any problems. I don't think there will be an issue with this setup.

Davy