HybridZ

Ram Air

rudypoochris

Usings a 3 hole kaminari front air dam and routing all of its holes into ram air for the engine would you feel any boost or would it just be cold air benefit? Basically if 1/2 of the car's frontal area with air dam was used towards ram air would any boost be felt, if so how much? Not sure if it is worth it but if it adds 2-3 psi thats still good

I actually did a study on this for a senior year engineering project. You will see almost no benefit from ram air below 85-90 MPH. Above that it starts to come on pretty strong but it would be measured in inches of water - 27" = 1 psi - so it's never going to 'boost' by much. The biggest benefit of 'ram air" is that it is 'cold air" compared to pulling it from behind the radiator. A good "cold air" induction can be worth as much as 5% more HP.

but even with half the valance being allocated to ram air their would be little benefit? I know cold air is a perk but never mind that for now, if your at 65 mph @ 2000 rpm there would be very little benfit even if half the valance area was ramming air in? i would think there would be atleast 1 psi over bar wouldn't there? And even if not isnt it better for the engine not to have to created a vacccumm and be fead air?