HybridZ

Guys in ontario, where to buy 300zx rotors?

I decided I'll gather the parts I need for the 4x4/300zx swap so after the engine is in, I'm ready to go. Again, I am amazed.. I go to canadian tire today and find out that the 84 300zx rotor is NOT availible from them! They can get the pads, and the bearings, but no rotor. :twak: I hate the thought of going dealer for this stuff.. The other place in town I ussualy go to for parts is closed today, so I have to check tomorrow.. Just curious though about anyone who's done the 4x4 brake conversion here in Canada: where did you get your rotors from?!?

I got to thinking maybe this is an 'omen' and I should just convert to 300zx 5 lug's (as those rotors are still availible) at the same time I'm upgrading the brakes...

I di my conversion on a true budget. I went to the pick and pull and took my Caliper (tool) with me. I took and measured the rotors on the 12 1984-86 300ZX's out there. I found 4 virgin rotors in like new condition with no grooves etc. I paid 40 bucks for the rotors and a new under hood Z light for my 240Z.

I got my S12W calipers for 40 bucks and did a 15 buck rebuild on them.

The most expensive parts were the spacers and brackets I purchased from Ross at Modern Motorsport but was well worth the cost. It made for an easy install!

Mike

Hi datsunlover

I'am in Montreal and they are hard to find here too. You will probably find the 5bolt pattern instead of the 4bolt. In that case just drill the rotors for 4bolts. I'am sure there are CarQuests Autoparts in Ontario, try them. CrappyTire doesn't have much for our cars anyways.

Ari

I'm not sure what sorts of auto parts stores they have in Ontario, but there has got to be something more professional than Canadian Tire (they sux) Any places like NAPA or something like that? Usually the places that small repair shops get their parts from are good. I know in BC there is a chain of stores called Lordco, here in MB there is Piston Ring, they are good, can get me almost any part for my Z as long as it's something that typically needs replacing (brakes, front end, starters, ect.) I have some parts to do a 5 bolt swap but still need the spacer so I'm stalled out at the moment. I remember pricing out some rotors last year, don't recall the price, but I know they were available. If you still have problems let me know and I'll get you a price. At least shipping from MB won't cost you much at all.

Hey Matt.

Try UAP. I'm pretty sure I got them there.. or maybe Car Quest. not a problem getting them though.

The spacer..well I think you can handle that part. I'll get you the dimensions for the spacer.. there are 2 or 3 different thicknesses depending on the year of Z.

240 are 1/2"

late model 280's are 314 thou. (kinda specific eh?)

not sure about your model, though I do have the numbers for all the spacers.

Scott

Yah the only reason I went to crappy tire is that it was sunday, and nothing else was open. I was just getting pricing anyway, I ussually shop around for parts... evry once in a while they have better prices, but I prefer to buy elsewhere. I've had some.. ah.. problems in the past with CT. I'm gona check out Car Quest today, and maybe UAP. (I'm not too keen on the UAP up here, a lot of stuf I've tried to get is 'unavailible' or 'discontinued' for some reason..) Thanks guys. :)

Well thanks guys, I managed to find some. :) $25.97 each from UAP, they'll be in tomorrow. Hey ZR8ED, did you find the spacer specs for 1975 280? Hopefully I can make them up this weekend, but I may have to order some material. (our shop doesn't keep a lot of round steel stock; we order stuff as we need it ussualy)

Well thanks guys, I managed to find some. :) $25.97 each from UAP, they'll be in tomorrow. Hey ZR8ED, did you find the spacer specs for 1975 280? Hopefully I can make them up this weekend, but I may have to order some material. (our shop doesn't keep a lot of round steel stock; we order stuff as we need it ussualy)

Perhaps you can make some up for me as my car is a 76?

Well the link is dead for the info unless someone else knows a link to "240dave" from michigan?

I did find that the rotor hat is 17mm for a 240 and 26mm for a 260-280z. Sorry. I may have the info printed off somewhere...

Well I KNEW something would go wrong.. :lol: Turns out the rotors they orderd in for me were for the REAR, hence the cheepness. It got even more interesting then, as there are TWO front rotors listed for 84, identical except for diameter. One is about 1" bigger.. It was the cheaper one though ($67.29) and I figure if I have to turn it down some so be it..