HybridZ

IC Piping and turbo lag

Phyxius

lag will increase with the more space that it has to fill (i.e. if there's more area for there to be air in the piping, it'll take slightly longer for the turbo to fill the pipe up compared to that of a smaller pipe). at a certain point you'd have to go up to a 3 inch setup once you're pushing enough power, but i'm not really sure what the limit is. what kind of power are you looking at getting?

Guest bastaad525

3" is pretty big... not sure if that's maybe TOO big even for 400+hp... I'd think 2.5" should be enough? I'd think the lag increase would be very noticeable from one size to the next.

One important factor is the size of the inlets on the intercooler itself? My I/C has 2.5" inlets, and I'm using 2.25" piping... I was actually able to fit the 2.25" silicone couplers over the 2.5" inlets, pain in the *** but doable, but if you're going more than .25" change you're gonna be spending more on the step up couplers. If possible either way you're better off going with whatever size the inlets are on the I/C, IMO.

You won't notice the difference from the extra volume. I went from 2" pipe to 2.5 in / 2.75 out and a much larger intercooler. I wouldn't go larger than 2.5 into the cooler. I ran 2.5 in becuase that's what the turbo outlet is. I ran 2.75 out because that's what my TB was. My intercooler also has 3" in/out's, 4" thick core. Is your 450 hp goal crank or wheel? How much boost and what turbo?

You do not need 3" pipes for your HP level. Pretty sure your compressor outlet is 2", so you do not really need more than 2.25 to the I/C but using 2.5 makes an easier transition to 3". I am well over 500 at the wheels and transition my I/C inlet from 2" to 2.5, then blew out the end of the 2.5 to 3 to mate up with the I/C. From the I/C I reduce it to 2.5 to the TB.

BTW, too much is being made of lag and "filling up the pipes". The main cause of lag is the wrong turbo components and running too rich in the low end. If you properly size the turbine wheel and housing and not have the engine load up on the bottom end, lag is not an issue. Need to remember that an L28ET is a low-compression engine with probably less torque than an N/A off boost. So, you are going from less torque than an N/A to probably 50% or more torque with boost and how well it transitions to full boost determines "lag". You need exhaust energy at low speeds to get that turbine wheel spinning up to 80-90,000RPMs and a bigger/heavier wheel and larger a/r housing needs even more exhaust energy. For a street car that wants snappy response, do not go crazy on turbine side.