HybridZ

Best tool for the job,.. Slicing up the plastic center console

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

What tool would cut the cleanest and easiest when dealing with plastics?

I'm preparing to slice up my center console to fit my Automatic shifter. I have the shifter lever, bracket, and the trim from the camaro it came out of. The black plastic kind of matches the Zs, and it has the P-R-O-D-2-1 that lights up when placed into gear. (Z was originaly a manual BTW) Getting it to fit sounds like quite a challenge and it doesn't need to be complicated with "How the hell am I gonna cut this?"

In my arsenal of tools I have many cutting implements, but none that cut plastic too well. I have a dremmil (melts plastic and gets gummed up), A powerful Hand grinder with metal cutting disk (same as dremmil just faster and quicker at melting plastic and getting cummed up), a sawzaw (clumsy, ackward and I'm afraid it'll break the console before it cuts it), a rusty broken hack saw (broken), asortment of metal files (slow and gumms up), box cutter and a dull knife (r-rriight)

2+2 center consoles are rare. I don't wanna damage it beyond my current project.

there might be some cuts you couldnt manage with it, but a abrasive-coated wire saw would be the best.... with a close second to an open-ended hacksaw with a fine metal blade on it, for the cuts that you cant use a 2-pole saw like the hacksaw or wire saw on.

First thing is to take your time and lay out all your cuts. If you want alot of control (READ SLOW AND ACCURATE) use a snub hacksaw grip and a new blade. This hack saw only holds on to one end of the blade so you can get into tough spots. Take your time and you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Dremel with the right cutter should work too but there is a bit more room for error if you don't have a steady hand. You can always cut inside the line and FILE the rest to fit.

Just take you time...

Guest zNuclearBeast

Hi all. Just joined this forum. This would be my first post. thought I would jump right in.

All the suggestions thus far are great and will all work well, especialy all the advice on keeping it nice and slow. Didn't see this option so thought I would mention it. Consider using a "Spin Saw". Its a dremel like tool but with capability to have much higher RPM for finer cuts (most brands have variable speeds). Thge tool comes with drill bits that can cut sideways as well. So basicaly one would make the initial hole asomewhat inside the final intended finish line. Lock the tool at a suitable RPM and then simply follow the intended pattern. Care must be given to keep the tool perpendicular to the working surface as the bit can potentialy break if subjected to extreme angles and/or pushed too hard through the material being cut. Although very easy to use. I have a fairly shaky hand yet I have managed to cut decent straight lines with it. Probably under a $100 if you want to buy one or maybe rent it.