HybridZ

Body Kit for 280ZX, Anyone Interested?

Chewievette

Would i be interested? Yes.

Do i think its this is really gonna go through? No.

Lots of people talk about stuff they are going to do, but it seems like only 10% here on hybrid actually follow through with anything. Make a kit and then we will talk $.

Lots of people talk about stuff they are going to do, but it seems like only 10% here on hybrid actually follow through with anything. Make a kit and then we will talk $.

There's a reason for that and its not the one that you seem to be implying. It takes quite some time for things to happen, especially in the world of car modification sometimes as much as 2-3years. A lot can happen in that time, I never promised that I would do this I'm just trying to gauge interest to keep that in mind when I build my car. because there are certain things that I would do differently if I make it one of a kind.

savageskaterkid - No, mine is not a 2+2. If the time comes and I make this kit I will seriously consider making a 2+2 version, biggest problem being that I need a car to mock it up on, standard version would come out first, with 2+2 following close behind.

the db9r photoshoping really inspired me, i'm planning on doing another with the back being more similar to a ferrari 550 as this ones to plain and wrecks the angles of the zed a bit to much (from side on i think it'd b way to high at the back)...and also get a front view happening...

Looks good!! Keep working with it! it'll start looking better and better. it may take some time to nail down exactly what you want and even then it'll change on you! I for one Love to see other people's ideas, so keep them coming!!

I'm not sure where exactly they stretched the body of the car at, I assumed it was aft of the doors. Are the doors themselves longer? I was thinking I would have to redo the hatch, rear quarters, and rocker panels. Which body panels are NOT interchangeable between the two and four seaters?

Guest iskone

Well I want (plan would be to strong a word) to do a rebody of sorts, much like the 575gtc. I have thought alot about the things I would do and problems I've thought of. I don't know if this will help but here are a view of my views on the subject.

My biggest problem is the windsheild and hideous windsheild wipers . Maybe not a problem for you but I'll point this out in case you missed it(doubt it though). If your gonna take the time and money to build a super-car it's gonna be lame with the brick wall of a wind sheild. Not only are the lines of the windsheild not going to flow with the sleekness of the rest of the car but all the aerodynamic benifit of the rebody is shot. Ok so maybe not all of it and you might not even care but I think if a car doesn't go together well it will not look good to the eye.

I've always thought I would chop the roof and rake the windsheild, possibly use a Miata windsheild. Doing this would solve look and height. What about the windows in the door? Well my plan had been to get the factory ones recut, but wait it doesn't end there folks! I think that having the trim around the window attached to the door is not cool. It has to go when the roof gets chopped. Plan is to reshape it and weld it to the roof. For the wipers the plan is to use a single wiper and motor from a Mercedes. The wiper needs to be "lowered" towards the ground a few inches from it's current location or the cowl needs to be raised along with the hood to hide it.

Crap... I've got to go but I have alot more on the subject if you care to disscuss it. Wheel base, Suspension, exhaust routing, Frame work, modeling with clay etc...

Isk

Guest iskone

I was thining that altough I love the Z the types of mods I was tlaking about might be better suited to a 3rd gen F-Body.

I think a 575gtc kit would be better suited to a 3rd gen as well.

Isk

I think a 575gtc kit would be better suited to a 3rd gen as well.

I think the 3rd gen camaros are too wide. For the roof to look proportional the fenders would have to be extremely wide. I think the narrower ZX better fits the 575gtc.

I've been pondering a very simple solution to the roof problem ...cut it off.

I think a roadster gtc would look rather dashing however would be nearly impossible to do as a body kit, the price alone would become outragious! Apparently I've got a LOT of thinking to do. I'd love to hear any ideas you've got!

Guest iskone

I've been thinking roadster too. It makes things easier in a way since you wouldn't work the roof. I don't see how the roadster would cost more aas a kit. Do you mean for resale? It sure seems less complacated.

Here's another issue with the roof and hatch I didn't notice till today. The roof/hatch has a tear drop shape as it pulls back. That might be a problem to copy. But then again with a lot of clay you can mold somthing like the hatch and roof ,once it was cut off anyway.

If I ever get to doing a big project like yours I plan to use Y2Klay for all of the modeling. My plan is to use clay on the body then make a mold then glass. I'm sure if you wanted to you could make plugs that would last a while.

Here are some 3rd gen numbers

OVERALL LENGTH 187.8 inches

WHEELBASE 101.0 inches

OVERALL WIDTH 72.8 inches

Track Front 60.7 inches

Track Rear 61.6 inches

OVERALL HEIGHT 50.3 inches

Isk

The roadster would probably end up costing more as a kit because I would have to provide a windshield "cap" and rear deck, which has to blend in perfectly with the rear quarters. Also I have to design and provide blueprints and possibly parts for strengthening the car. Since the Z's are unibody when you cut the roof off, you need to replace the strength somehow. Before I got hooked on Ferrari I had a tubular spaceframe designed that would weld in place over the existing subframes and floorboards, making it as strong if not stronger than stock. I may have to re-work that frame a bit but I think it could work with the ferrari kit.

Rebuilding the top is very tempting however, I've always wanted a topless car and I've had it in mind for my zx since I bought it, so if I cut it off, it's staying off!

When I build my body kit I'll be using insulation foam (usually blue or pink) to build up a base. The foam will get all the dimensions and large shapes finished. Then cracks and lowpoints will be covered in bondo and re smoothed. small details will also be shaped in bondo. After that a sealer goes on and then molds can be made off the finished plug. I was originally planning to use 100% clay like you are but the amount of clay required would cost too much (unless what your planning to use costs less that what I priced out). That part is entirely up to you, but I'm used to shaping this type of foam so that's what I'll be using.

I dont mean to sound like I'm backing out of this because it is still as likely as it ever was but, I'm starting to think about this with consideration given to what I want out of the car. and with the shear number of modifications that I want to include in this car, it will make this kit impossible to market. Its beginning to look like this kit will be a Very basic, body panels Only kit. Which could be a blessing in disguise... The new version of the kit that I've been pondering lately would include:

-Front Bumper

-Front Fenders

-Headlight Covers

-Hood

-Door Skins

-Rocker Panels

-Rear Quarters

-Rear Bumper

-Tail light surround

-Hatch

-Rear Wing

It Might include:

-Lexan Rear window

-Lexan Quarter Windows

While it still includes a Heck of a lot, it no longer includes detail parts like the rear diffuser, headlights, or tail lights. And while it may not sound like I'm cutting out a lot, it would drop the price substantially $1-2000. Which I'm thinking would put it within reach of more of you. In this case the coupe kit would hit the market first, then the roadster version, then the 2+2, with a 2+2 roadster by request only. Keep in mind that you wouldn't be seeing an acctual completed car until my roadster is finished.

How many of you would be more likely to buy if it was in the $3-4000 range?

Okay, I give up... I HAVE to stop thinking about marketing strategy! I need to focus on getting my car together. When I get the molds done I'll think about popping a few extra body panels. I'm putting together a list of everthing that needs to get done to my car and what order it needs to be done in, just so that I can bring some order to my thought process, we'll see how that turns out... So basically what this rant comes down to is, it is Far to soon for me to be advertising and I'm going to bite my tongue for a while.

I'll let you know when I start bodywork.

If you are interested in this bodykit PM me.