HybridZ

Intimidated by B&M Shift Improver Kit

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

I read the instructions once... :eek2:

I read them a second time... :confused2

I've always prided myself on my ability to read and understand technical manuals and instructions. Either these instructions were written in a foreign language, writen by and for transmission experts, or I'm a moron.

Anyone got some advice, or encouragement for me? I just put this tranny in, and don't wanna screw it all up.

I am not sure which transmission and which kit you are using but I understand your pain. I have also been aprehensive about installing one of these kits. Until a friend of mine bought one and we installed it. My advice is to install it with the transmission out of the car but it can be done with it in the car. If you install the kit with the trans in the car you will need some thick oil to stick the ball bearings in the proper position during assembly. The second trick I found was to follow along with the instructions as you go reading each step. This is not my typical method, usually I try to do something first then refer to the instructions when things don't work (typical male I guess). Just follow each step, the instructions are very good (his was a B&M shift kit for a 350 turbohydro trans).

Can you use the tranny grease upon reassembly to hold the balls in on an auto? I used some stuff referred to as "Honey", basically a waxy like green grease made specifically for holding tranny parts together during assembly. I needed it to hold some springs and balls inside my 280ZX 5 speed upon rebuild. It works great, and doesn't cost much (under $10 for the tub). Maybe you can call a local tranny shop and ask if it is okay to use. It could save a lot of frustration.

Joshua

I have always used vaseline. One trans shop I worked for (the one with the TV commercials) would mix STP engine treatment with the Vaseline and use for assemble lube. Best advise I can give is to use good snapring pliers and if the vaseline is not thick enough to hold check balls put it in the freezer for a while.

Guest Phil1934

I did one when I was about 16. I pulled the valve body and 3 ball bearings bounced across the driveway as I looked up at what seemed miles of channels. I knew I had done it now. But i got it back together. Haven't done more than changed filters on an auto for the next 35 years, though.

Guest tony78_280z

Well I do want to install the kit. Any advice on how to keep the check balls from bouncing away as I drop the valve body. Is the valve body metal? Could I put a big magnet on the valve body as I drop it to keep them in place? Loosing one of those little balls is a definate possibility as I will be standing in the bottom of the mechanic pit. It is dark and dingy in there.

KY is fine, When I drop a valve body I leave the drain pan under it and try to lower it down level so check balls dont drop into drain pan. I have lost my share of check balls

but they come in many rebuild kits, so any trans shop has them or just PM me and I can send you some, just dont loose the larger one as I am out of those.

..i've done this on a t350 under a Chevelle[a messy affair] and a t200r4 on a work bench[heaven]...use vasiline to hold the balls in place.....and use a torque wrench to tighten down the valve body bolts....they strip very easily[trust me].