HybridZ

custome chassis update #2

Looking good!

I'm planning on building a full space frame myself. I've pretty much finished up the design and am just looking for a car to build it for!

Just curiuos how you went about designing your frame and what material you made it with. I've been using a 3D design software called GRAPE and will probably be making most of the chassis out of mild steel. The main rails will probably be 2x3x.120 (as well as all suspension pickup points) and the hoop and top roll cage will be .134 wall tubing. Non load-bearing pieces will be made of thinner wall materials.

Also, did you build the frame inside the car, piece by piece, or did you measure carefully and build the frame outside of the car, then lower the body onto it?

the main frame is built from 2x3" box .125 wall mild steal, and all the super structure (tubing) is 1.5 .095 chromoly as per the SCCA regulations. the main chassis was built out of the car on jig with carfull measurments, and the body was repeatedly test fit. the whole body from the firewall back will be one piece removable, so there has been a lot of planning in how the cage and foreward bars are constructed. but it is all being built piece by piece, I only did pencil sketches before we took the plasma cutter to the body. every thing i sbeing built to fit as tightly to the body as possible whil still allowing the body to be lifted off. this takes alot more time in the fitting and planning stages, but will allow for the final welding and painting and such to be finnished much cleaner and easier i think.

the work is being done at a shop called competition fabrication.

Thanks for the reply SBC-400.

That is basically how I planned to build mine (out of car with repeated test fittings).

I had thought about trying to make the body removable from the frame. How do you plan to go about doing this? I was thinking of something like dzus fasteners... Also, how do you plan on sealing out the elements with the removable body? Weatherstripping at the contact points between frame and body?

One last question... did you get a change to weigh your frame? I'm estimating that my frame design is going to come out to somewhere around 350 pounds. Hopefully I'll be able to offset some of the weight by removing some of the unibody reinforcement sheetmetal. The frame should be plenty stiff that the body won't be flexing.

I am hoping to run the car in SPO, or I guess it would work for ITE as well, acording to the SCCA rule books, and car over 2500 lbs is suposed to have 1.5 .095 tubing.

I have not completely figured out how to seal the surfaces of the body to that of the frame, but I dont think it will be too hard, as the frame kind of slides up inside of the body. It will be mounted with 6 bolts just like a regular body so that there is some adjustment, but the interior will be all aluminum, dzues fastened in so that I can access the trans and rear end easily from the top.

Also I do have more shots of the black car, they used to be in the hybridz album, here on the web site, but they they may have been lost in the last website update. the website yourfavoritedriversucks.com is a champcar fan site, and the front page is always being changed.

• 1 month later...