HybridZ

Desk Top Dyno Horsepower N42/E88

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

*UPDATED STROKE*

So I've been pretty anxous to get my head back , turns out it was "bowed" on the top and damaged a cam tower. I'll have it back by next week :-D

Well I was flipping through the phone book looking for window tinting when I found a local shop that does flow testing. Anyway I took a mystery head head to them today to get some info on it (E88, billit cam 341R?, spray bar, stock valves, springs). So I got to using DD2000 and used the figures that were in How To Modify (E3100 full race) My other head was built by BC Gerolomy and has 280 valves full race port and a L-4 cam.

Enough back story here are the numbers I input, waht do you think? Seems optomistic to me, hope not though.

Bore: 3.425 Stroke:3.11

Head Flow In. .300 136, .500 188, .700 202 Ex. .300 97.6, .500 136, .700 147

CR 11.7 (Forged pistons)

Intake CFM 660 (Sound right?, I have trip 40mm DCOE's)

Headers w/ mufflers (Dual Super Trapp's, I can almost go open ex.)

278*/.580 on 102 (would I put 102 in the LCA feild as well as ICL)

Results

8740276_graph.jpg

8740276_table1.jpg

Isk

Guest iskone

this seems wrong to me but I was playing around some more and according to DD2000 if I ratard the cam's timing 12* there is a big increase. Also if I had a 306* I would make something around 15hp less. Take a look

278*/.580 retarded 12* at cam

8740276_retarded_12.jpg

306*/.580

8740306_table.jpg

Your stroke is way wrong. L28 would be 3.11 inches, LD28 would be 3.27 inches. I don't think DD works for L6s very well, just judging by your numbers. According to your first graph torque peaks at 2000 rpm and FALLS all the way up the rpm range.

Maybe if you fixed the stroke???

Guest iskone

:redface: Oops, You know what I did. I put in 311mm and then converted to inches getting 5.23, but 3.11" is the stroke. I'm glad you noticed. I'll make some updates to the pics I posted and the stroke I list.

I was looking at the tables like what is going on with the Tq numbers? I know that DD is really made for V8's but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. What do you think about some of the numbers with the cam retarded? Is that true to life?

Isk

I think if you retarded the cam 12º you'd probably end up with a piston and a valve hitting. 12º is a LOT. Most cam manufacturers give instructions on how the cam should be timed. You can vary a little bit, but I'd be really careful about 12º.

Guest iskone

Yeah 12* sounds like a lot to me. I wonder why DD gets L6's so screwed up?

What do you think of the updates I made? The torque still looks wrong.

Isk

Guest iskone

I'm thinking I'll kind of ignore the TQ numbers but the I'm hoping the HP numbers will be close (where's the crossed fingers smiley?)

Did I install the cam correcttly? I tried to find some more info about the L-4 but all I got is 102* center so I used 102* for the LCA & ICL

When I get the car back together I'm planning to take it to Carburator Connection in Kirkland to tune the Webers I'll find tou the Power then. Have you known anyone to take there Webers to them before? If youo know a good place let me know, I should ask Oliver at Z Specalities.

Isk

Intake CFM 660 (Sound right?, I have trip 40mm DCOE's)

I did a little searching, and found the maximum CFM for 40mm Weber rated at 181 per venturi (1086 total). There wasn't a minimum listed, but I did find this for the 45's:

30 -142 cfm (per venturi)

32 -164 cfm

34 -186 cfm

36 -207 cfm

38 -218 cfm

40+ 222 cfm

Using that as a baseline, the minimum for a 40mm would be about 115 CFM. I may be way off, but just an educated guess.

Phil

Guest iskone

I called Oliver at Z Specialties he says CC is fine, My head isn't ready though :mad:

I actually used 600cfm in the DD I forgot to change that in my post. Just for fun I put in the 1100cfm number peak HP goes to 315 at 9000rpm. I wish my motor could turn like that in a long straight away just punching it to 9k would be awesome :twisted: . The carbs I've got to make flow more than 600cfm but I don't want to change the numbers because I think it would come back too high.

Isk