HybridZ

oil system questions

heavy85

Well I finally gave up on my F54 and got another one. The 'new' one is actually an '82 turbo motor from which I am just using the block and putting the 'old' flat-tops in it (but now I have a complete turbo set-up for the future...). So I was looking at the oil pumps and from the outside they look indentical with the exception of the casting marks. It is my understanding that the turbo pump has higher displacement but how can I tell what I've got? The old motor had been built before so maybe it's alread got the bigger pump - are there external differences that would tell me which one I have?

Secondly, the turbo motor has a plate sandwhiched between the oil filter and the block to route to an oil cooler. Problem is I dont have a cooler so if I ditch the plate then I loose the oil filter by-pass. My old block has the by-pass in the block but the turbo block has it built in the oil cooler plate. So then what is the recommended course of action? Any good source for a low cost oil cooler or can I maybe run it into the bottom of my radiator where the auto trans would normally hoop-up to?

Thanks

Cameron

DON'T run the hoses to the auto-trans cooler in the rad! That is designed for a thinner oil and would prove to be a HUGE restriction, not good at all. Easiest solution would be to take the old brass fittings for the oil hoses out and take them to a hydraulics specialty shop, and ask them for a adapter to fit those same threads. The adapter should convert it to a 1/2 flare fitting. With flare fittings you should be able to make yourself a bypass hose. Just ask them for a couple of "90 degree push on fittings" and a couple feet of hose.

Here is your shopping list:

2 metric to sae 1/2 flare adapters

2 90 degree push on hose ends

2 feet of oil line hose

You can put them together easy enough yourself. You just need to put the fittings in a vise, grease them up, and PUSH the hoses on. It's and very tight fit and no need for any kind of clamp.