HybridZ

How do you prime a rb oil pump?

J Taylor

Got my motor pretty much finished up. Turned it over for about a min, 10-15 secs at a time and getting no oil flow. In the process of pulling the oil pan/pump at the moment. What I'm trying to figure out though, is that since the oil pump has the backing plate, how do you prime it? Other pumps I've seen you can just pack with grease/vaseline to get them primed. Can't do that with the plate in the way. ANyone know what I should do to get it primed? Someone else mentioned I may have to pump oil throught he pickup hole in the block and also through the filter hole to get the oil through the motor.

Also, is there any way to fix the oil pump drive problem without pulling the crank? If the crank has to come out, I'm going to want to go ahead with new rings/bearings and probably some good pistons. But then, what's the point of doing that while keeping the head stock? LOL. The while-I'm-at-it's always get the best of me. 3 years ago I took the car down to do a cv conversion.....3 yrs later I have a rb25 with custom manifolds, big turbo, etc, etc and still haven't driven it. I've got to stop somewhere and just get it running.

Thanks for any help,

JT

If the pump has any oil residue in it, it will prime by itself. Pull all the plugs and disable the injectors and coils. turn the engine over with the starter until you see pressure. 30 seconds at a shot is OK with the plugs pulled. It may take two or three times. If it were a bone dry pump, you can get oil into it by the inlet to the oil filter in the side of the block. Normal rotation at starter speed won't do any damage to the engine, even with no oil pressure.