HybridZ

Driveshaft stuck

Phyxius

In the course of taking my stock 4 speed out, I was unable to remove the driveshaft from the rear of the tranny. I took the tranny along with the driveshaft out in hopes the driveshaft would be easier to remove once I got the tranny out. I managed to get it about 2" of the yoke out of the tranny, but it won't come any farther. I also can't get it to go back in. I've torn up one dead blow hammer and tried heating it with a propane torch with no success.

Any ideas?

I did search, but didnt find anything useful. I've also tried using a pully puller to seperate the two, but that was unsuccessful as well. The big bolt started to bow and I was afraid it was going to pop off and hurt me.

I've considered the come along, but can't really think of a good way to hook to the driveshaft.

Regarding your stuck driveshft yoke......now this is just a thought, but when splined couplings have been in service for a long time they will wear to some degree, within their range of movement (slight in and out movement). Beyond their range of movement you still have splines that have not been subjected to the wear. At the ends of the worn spline a bur developes, which may be the resistance you are encountering. So, the slide hammer may just be the ticket. Once the yoke does come off, you can dress up (remove) these burs if you intend to use the assembly again. Just a possibility to consider.

I had this happen in my Camaro. High RPM launches twisted the splines in the driveshaft yoke. I used an air hammer to bang the DS off the transmission output shaft. It was UGLY. It took me hours to get it apart.

Good luck.

Jody

I finally got it out. It took a combination of hammer swinging, a pulley puller, a lot of PB blaster, and several hours. I can't really see what the problem was. The end of one of the splines on the yoke is somewhat bent looking, but it doesnt look bad enough to make it hang that hard.