HybridZ

so much for quick turbo upgrade....

broke the first stud off tonight on the exhaust manifold. It seemed to be coming loose. Put penetrating oil on it. Worked it back and forth and kept bringing it out more and then bam. I was just using a box end wrench. I hate studs anywhere on the exhaust system. So I guess out comes the intake manifold and exhaust manifold so I can try to get the studs out with the welder. If that doesn't work, then forget it, I'll just go ahead and start building that custom weld el exhasut manifold I have been talking about.

I whined too early. :)

I took today off because I'm sick, but that won't stop me from wrenching on the car. I pulled the manifold and got it on my bench. Welded a nut on that broken stud and worked it some more and got it off. Worked the others easier this time with double nuts and got them all out. Cleaned the threads with a tap and now I can screw a stud into all 4 holes all the way with my fingers. I was worried for a little bit. If I don't run into another issue like that I may have it back up next week.

What length studs are you guys using with the 1/2 inch spacer? Also, does anyone know off hand what the fitting is out of the block to the oil feed line for the turbo? It almost looks like british threads to me.

If you are in fact replacing your exh/int studs...do yourself a favor and purchase stainless steel studs and use never-sieze when instlling them. If you do this you will likely never again have an issue with the studs. Actually, I recommend contacting ARP bolts. They have the best hardware available...in my opinion anyway.