HybridZ

Another CV conversion thread

ezzzzzzz

I picked up a couple of 84-86 Nissan 720 4x4 front R180A differentials (4.11:1 open carrier) to procure the side flanges. These flanges are identical to the early R180 diffs including the use of a center retainer bolt except for one small thing, they are CV flanges! I haven't measured yet but have every reason to believe the bolt pattern is the same for the 280ZX CV tulips. Why go this route instead of a R200? For a couple of reasons, I have a NISMO LSD R180 with 4.11:1 r&p in excellent condition and this allows my to convert to CV without the hassle of procuring/fitting a LSD R200 with the same r&p. I also got the tulips with these R180A diffs (cut shaft). The outers CV joints were not the bolt-on type and were useless for my needs. I need only convert my outer companion flanges to CV to be close to finished. My choices are Ross' fine product or installing 280ZXT flanges as has been noted in other threads. All of the conversions I've seen attempt to work with stock length CV halfshafts which is the ideal path except the early halfshafts are not in great abundance. My idea is to have the CV joints in hand and get custom machined shafts. Now that I've gotten this far I have a question for the masses. Can the CV tulip joints (double slip effectively) be used at both ends or is there a concise reason why one end would be fixed while the other slipped?

I hope I understand your question here: The ZX Turbo CV jointed shafts are "double slip." I've never heard this term before, but the inner and outer ends slide in and out. The ZX Turbo CV shafts use a coil spring on the outer joint to push the shaft itself inboard toward the differential. Is this what you were needing to know?

I think you answered my question. Going by what you've decribed, maybe a spring could be installed in the outer tulip to accomplish that. Do the inner and outer CV tulips look the same? I should do a search and look at some pictures before I ask though....to late.

The inner CV tulips I got with the R180A diffs look like a 280ZX joint (three distinct depressions where the bolts join the CV to the flange. These however are flat across the mounting face (do not have the conical extension as the 280ZXT units have). They are centered by a machined lip on the outer edge of the R180 flange.

After reading the following thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=90068 and confering with Tim240Z I've decided I can build my CV axles using all inner joints (tulips). Tim told me that the axles he built allowed the shafts to float (telescope) within both CV end assemblies. I'm going to fabricate a simple aluminum disc and nylon (or similiar material) button to insert inside the inner tulip which the shaft will ride against. A spring will be installed in the outer tulip which will preload that knuckle/cage forcing the axle inboard towards the diff. As wear occurs, hopefully over a LONG period of time, I can shim the button of the inner tulip to move the cage assembly outward into a new unworn area. Using the bolt-retained side flanges from the late 720 4x4 R180 front diff and adapters from Ross at MM for the 280Z stub axles makes this a very easy and effective CV conversion for my NISMO LSD R180 w/4.11 r&p in the 71 240Z! The axles should install without disassembly of the suspension too. No more thrashed U-joints. It doesn't get much easier than this!

NOTE: The inner tulips and flanges on the late 720 4x4 R180 are the same as the 280zxt six bolt tulip.