HybridZ

bike engines

Guest thunderzy

Guest thunderzy

Has anybody ever attempted a hayabusa swap into a Z. Bike engined kit cars a extremely popular overseas. I believe the Z is an excellent platform for this type of mod. Any info is appreciated.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Aside from the creative challenge, I don't see the point of it. A stock GSXR1300 motor puts 155-160hp to the wheel, and that's on a motorcycle with less driveline loss than a car. I suppose a turbo would wake it up, but why not turbo a larger motor instead... like the L28?

Guest Battle Pope
It would be a bad match for the Z, imo. The lack of torque, poor gearing for a street car and general power delivery wouldn't be too fun. Although it might be worth it just for the sound at 10,000RPM.

The sound would be the only worthwhile benefit, yes.

Guest thunderzy

Maybe you guys are right. It may not be a good match, and the benefits prob wont outway the cost and time needed to install. On the other hand a turbo charged hyabusa puts out 400bhp, and in a car as light as the 240 the power to weight ratio would be great. The powertech engines are pretty crazy. I cant wait to see the final performance numbers on those. For those that are interested this company http://www.zcars.org.uk/default.htm puts hyabusa engines in elises, minis, and even ultimas.

Guest 81na ZX
it would work great if the Z shed about 1000 lbs

Exactly. The Z is too heavy.

Its common to find motorcycle engines in 7 kit cars, but thoes weigh less than 1000lbs wet... (OK, up to 1200lbs or so).

Another point: motorcycle engines are illegal for many types of racing with closed wheel cars.

It might work but you wouldn't want to go with anything smaller than the Huyabusa or ZX12 engines. They make more torque than a Miata engine(1600). You also have to keep in mind that with the bike engine you are replaceing a very heavy 6 cyl. and 4-speed with a engine/sequential trans that doesn't weigh much more than just the original 4-speed. Another problem would be weight distribution. The Z already has a rear weight bias and it would get much worse with that light bike engine up front.

BTW the Super 7/Locost cars weight @1200-1300lbs. with a 400+ lb. Ford Cortina 4 cly. and a @ 100lb. trans. Most of the cycle powered 7s are 900lb. or less.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

A ZX-12 or GSXR1300 motor makes 90-100TQ, and at 7k-8k RPM. A Miata makes 95TQ, but at a relatively low 5500rpm.

Even considering how much power as they can make, I still think motorcycle engines are better suited for lightweight (<1000lb) vehicles due to the lack of torque.

This is all strictly opinion, though. I have no real world experience with bike-engined cars.

I just checked a dyno of a stock 91 Miata from Flyin Miata's web site and it made from @70lb.ft. at 1500 to 83 at 5500 and it drops off after that. Here's a dyno sheet(at the wheel) of a 01 GSXR1300:

dyno-2001-suz-gsx1300r.gif

The reason I'm comparing it to Miata power is the 90-93 Miatas are about the same weight as a early 240Z. I wonder if the clutch wouldn't be a bigger issue than the low end torque. The clutch in a cycle engine is designe for a 400-550lb. bike, not a1700-1800lb.(guestimate of a Z with a bike engine) car with much better traction.