HybridZ

351W or 306

hat1324

I really have to comment on the statements made about building a 351W for the same price as an LT1. I'm assuming you are talking about the 90s vintage LT1 rather than the early 70s version.

I think this is the wrong price comparison to make.

The 351W you're talking about would be in the same technology catagory as the gen 1 SBC not the LT1.

The LT1 was also a short run engine so fewer of them were made which in turn makes the LT1 specific parts more expensive and there are fewer options to increase performance.

Taking these things into account a better comparison is the GEN 1 SBC (50s through late 80s). There are literally millions of these around of varying quality with many more parts at better prices than the Ford 351W offers. So for the money it's possible to build a GEN 1 SBC to comparable power cheaper than a 351W.

Both are good engines and can make comparable power levels so the real choice other than availability and price of parts comes down to brand preference and distributor placement.

I'm a Ford guy myself but ended up with an LT1 because I found a great deal on it before I could find the right deal on a 302, had I to do it all over again I would have held out for the 302 or possibly a 351W.

Wheelman

having problems finding a builder.. I was quoted 2400 for a shortblock, and I was like "ehh im all right without the assraping"

Id build it myself, but would be building by a book, then getting it ballanced. I can do a longblock no problem, but the short i dont know all to well.(ive worked on nissan ones, but was only helping)

Where are you located. If you are close to someone on this board who knows how they might be willing to help. It is much cheaper than that to put one together yourself depending on what you want. I have connections here but odds are you are not around here.

Don

This is what he wanted to charge me 2400 for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969101653&category=33615

this is the EXACT and almost scarry same setup.

BTW those of you on the ford forums, it was originaly Indy mustang, but they got baught out a week ago, and the new guys busy taking it over. The old owner is now a manager, and hes actually who quoted me... I was like "im ok Jim, you've raped enough ford guys"

the new guys prob going to fire him soon...

No offense but zgeezer' date=' The concept of a 427 small block is rediculous and is usually a ploy a 331 is a great engine but dosnt have 1/2 the strength that the 351 block does when boost is involved it turns things around alot. And its not about speed because who ever put together a 427 sbf and only gained that over 331 did it on purpose didnt get traction or was a little motorly challenged the 427 sbf can get double the hp of a 331 when done right but for how long? Ive built a 400 hp 5.0 and a 620 hp 351 windsor. It really is almost the differance between big block and smallblock. All these 408-even 455 sbf kits are made for one purpose 2500 miles of pure victory where they are abused and pushed hard to there limits sometimes 8000 rpm. I hada bracket racing but who ran a 414 sbf and put 722 hp on methanol for 15000 miles and there is no way the 5.0 could have even ran on an engine stand before cracking because of 550 hp. The 351 is defenately the superior motor.

On the other hand I disagree with magnum largest safe stroker package so far to my knowledge...Im up to #72 built ford engines, and highest is 393ci, I even went with a 383 becuase its got a longer rod than 408 but shorter stroke wich means better and more powerful, due to engine physics. I also have a coast kit[/quote']

Ploy? Afraid not. Stroked 351W with long rods is both affordable and strong. Who can really argue about the practicality of a $3500/4,000 engine that has decent street manners, has run for 3 years on the street with zero complications and consistently pulls a 3100# Falcon sedan to high tens in the 1/4.

g

I love stroked long roded 351w I have one but when the comp ring on the pistons fills withg oil because some engineers tried to squeze a few cubes in...That is a ploy to me, they originally posted them as "TRY 427 S/C POWER IN YOUR SMALL BLOCK" guess what the reason the 427 made so much in the shelby cars was becaause the side oiling and about 1000 coolant and lube passages.

Hmmmmm. We do go through a quart of oil every 1500-2000 miles on the 426/7 and had chalked it up to valve guides. The 347/302 we played with before was real oil guzzler. The 331/302 is so sweet and affordable that I wonder why any gearhead would ever do a complete 302 rebuild w/o stroking it.

g

your damn right why everyone dosnt stroke motors is a big question to me its so cheap to ad 30 cubes to a 5.0 that are realiable asnd track tested it dosent make sense to me unless they need more reving in a certain type of road race car but then hey why not buil a race motor :)