HybridZ

z32 5 speed to L28 block

David K

Man oh man ive been so busy with tons of projects, i dont even have the time to get into my Nissan v8 build or the p90a lifters. Currently i am doing the head gaskets on my '90 300zx, im honestly considering a TT swap due to the amount of work to get that sucker in and out. I dont wanna put in an old tired engine after all that work. Anyway, why im posting....

I have the chance to fit up te z32 5 speed to the L28 block. I can play around a little with this tommorow if anyone is interested. Im not sure the fitment issues have been covered and i dont have time to sit online all night and search. Let me know if you would like to get further info, and i will fit this z32 trans up to the L28 block and post the results of that.

The first issue i see is that the z32 5 speed uses 10 bolts to mount to the vg30 block. The early z trans uses 4. The block is right next to the trans in the lower pic.

engineout02.jpg

engineout11.jpg

Im interested in anything you can come up with (pics etc) i havent been able to do it myself, even if it just your thoughts of what needs to be done, will be a bit of a warning to myself at what i will need to look at when i get to it.

Cheers Jeremy

Yes! I've been trying to find someone to come up with an adapter plate. I believe the 350Z 6 speed uses the same mounting points as the Z32 and I just happen to have one of those that is waiting to go behind a L6.

Joe

I have lots of pics but my camera battery is dead and i dont have an external card reader. Im going back to where my car is at tommorow. Ill slip an L28 clutch plate over the z32 trans input shaft, and ill also try to slip a pilot bushing over the input shaft as well. Ill also measure the distance the input shaft sticks out past the mating surface of the trans to block, then compare it to the trans that came with the L series.

Im wondering if the vg30de rotates the same direction as the L series engine. I dont know much about the vg30de yet.

Im wondering if the vg30de rotates the same direction as the L series engine. I dont know much about the vg30de yet.

most engines spin clockwise, honda's up till their most recent engines all spun backwards, i am sure there have been others that spin backwards but it's a small percentage and I know of no nissan engines to ever spin backwards