HybridZ

Aftermarket Fuel Gauge Question / Problems

I just installed a Summit 16 Gallon Fuel Cell. I also hooked up the appropriate fuel gauge. It seems pretty simple. With my Painless wiring, I have the pink wire on one terminal on the sender, and the other terminal to ground. On the gauge, I have the sender wire, a ground, and an ignition on wire. I have NO LESS than 4 gallons of fuel in the cell. When the key goes on, the gauge bumps off the stop, but barely goes past Empty. Now I know I have at least 1/4 of fuel. When I disconnect ANY connection, the gauge goes straight to Full. It is the GM 33-240 Ohm sender and gauge. Do I have a problem? Is something not wired right? Or should I just keep shuttling to the gas station with a 2 gallon can until full??

Ok, I drove my Z to the gas station and filled it to the top. The gauge works, but it seems to be a little off. It is literally filled as high as it will go, but the gauge reads just a hair over 3/4. It took almost 1/2 a tank to read 1/4 on the gauge. Is there a way to adjust it?

I suppose one could install a variable resistor (reostat) in the circuit and with a full tank of fuel, adjust the resistor until the gauge reads full. Basically the sending unit in the fuel cell is also a variable resistor with a float attached to it and as the fuel level changes, so does the position of the sending unit reostat.....hence varying the voltage to the gauge. I also think that adjusting the bend in the sending unit float arm you could achieve the same results. Hope this help some. Maybe someone else will chime in and add to this info.