HybridZ

air cleaner

I searched old posts for a while but had not luck. I am trying to figure out what the largest airfilter is that can be used with the MSA mounts. I want this 15" oval i was looking at on ebay so it matches my valve cover but dont know if it'l fit. i remeber hearing its tight but not how tight. I am trying to avoid a cowl if possible. I like the lines on my car and dont wanna cut it up.

wow. that sounds like a small air cleaner. especially with a drop base. you dont notice the motor choking or anything? man if that's the best i can do i may reconsider the "cold air indiction" type gittyup with a carb "hat" found with ati procharged carburated cars.

maybe i am making a big deal of nothing though. I dont plan on running more than 6500 RPM. it'll be about a 406SBC built to run between 1500-6500 with 400-500 HP/TQ.

I bet I'm p!issing into the wind with my concern over the issue. I need one of the brainier (is that a word) folks around here to chime in on whether is makes a difference.

And i think i will definitely do the crossmember spacers. My suspension is fully ajustable height-wise so i can do the spaces and lower it a little.

since i have the JTR book I'll probably make them outta some nice aluminum.

Just to add more here....With that 2 5/8 element I have a 1 full inch clearance to the stock hood at the top of the wing nut which is highest point on the motor. So you might get away with a 3 inch filter with a true flat low cover? I never tried it.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW,

I ran a Moroso 14x3" drop-base air cleaner with a Holley 4bbl on a Holley hi-rise intake PN 300-36, (copy of the 70 Z-28 hi-rise) on my 327, WITHOUT the 1/2" spacers between the crossmember and frame rails, and had 1/2" clearance between the hood and air cleaner.

I didn't use the spacers, as I need to keep the front of the engine/trans up as high as possible for equal front and rear driveshaft u-joint angles in the vertical plane (see my drivelinemods page on my site for mor info).

Guest zfan

I ran a 3x14 with drop base. It also consisted of K&N filter with K&N filter top. On my 383 stroker it ran 3 tenths faster in the quarter with the element off. Don't recommend this but it breathes better this way.

I would never do that on the street.

Mike

Zfan. I have the same K&N filter assembly on a holley 3310 carb, and a Edelbrok RPM air gap intake and no JTR crossmember spacers. I have 1/2" clearence. But I only lost 1 hp and 1.5 ft lb with the filter on, Maybe because the hood was up on the dyno?

Guest zfan

True when I put mine on the dyno there was little difference with it on or off, hood up. At the track there is a difference in my times and I am running a 2" cowl hood. You got me?

Mike