HybridZ

What Tranny

Juiced

Guest 81na ZX

either a 2.0L Dodge D50/Mitsu MightyMax/Plymouth mini truck or the guts of a starion tranny in the aformentioned case.

Thats the only tranny that bolts up.

I'm putting one in a Seven :D

there is a guy in australia that makes adapter plates. i think he made a turbo suzuki sidekick with a rwd 4g63 in it. He used a toyota transmission. You can find toyota surpa tranny swaps for the 4863 if you get the adaptor plate. I also stumbled upon a place that has toyota bellhousings for the swap. Id say thats your best bet for a strong tranny thats upgradable and rwd. I thought about doing this swap for along time, seemed like it would be unique and have a lot of potntial, but other than that, useless. Another thing you run into is flipping the intake manifold around becuase the intake points at the firewall when made rwd. But you seem like fabbing up a custom intake isnt a problem. If you can do the swap, rock on. Avoid the might max, they break at 300hp, and why spend all the money if you wont even have 300 reliable. ill see if i can find that site for ya. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest agrabau

The guy in Aus doesn't make them, in fact he made only one and I don't think that he's even in Australia.

The early supra transmission will not bolt to the 4g63 without a plate, and with a plate you will need a custom clutch and flywheel which throws the economics of this conversion out the window.

Even with a Supra bellhousing and transmission you will still be without a gearbox as the mighty max and starion boxes do not have bellhousings that seperate from the gearcases.

The two options that present themselves are:

Use a mighty max transmission from a 2.0 RWD mighty max and have very wide spread gearing or use a "wide block" 4G63 block and swap the 1G internals over to that. I haven't done that so I don't know if it works.

A couple of other notes, the starion bellhousing is stronger, it's reinforced in the bellhousing area to resist torsional flexing. The tail section of the starion box will bolt to the mighty max tail section which will reduce the total length of the transmission by about 5 inches which is helpful for conversions.

http://www.dentsport.com/stariontranny/

-Alex Grabau

Dent Sport Garage