HybridZ

do i need an o2 sensor

gexgexgexgex

From what I have seen, people who have problems running with the O2 sensor connected have exhaust leaks upstream of the sensor. MS in theory will run in closed loop mode using the O2 sensor, but I haven't tried it because I tuned my cruising AFRs to about 15.3:1 so the ECU would try to go back to 14.7:1 if I turned it on to use the NB sensor.

unless you had a WBO2 box with a configurable switching output to the MS...

Then you could set your EGO correction to any number you wanted.

This is how the WBO2 worked in the original Electromotive TEC2 using target AFR. You set your cruise bins to the target and the O2 sensor did a correction offset to the programmed table.

Actually, with that setup, it was pretty easy to rough in a table, turn on datalogging, and simple record the offset lambda number the ECU was giving to reach the desired AFR, and then go make that adjustment to the hard-programmed table. When you were done, a good table would have "0" correction no matter how you drove it (under most reasonable circumstances).

But I digress...

My plans for the future is to set up the AFR Switching output from a WBO2 unit and use IT for the EGO correction at cruise. For my long trips, even a few thenth's of a AFR will save gas money... Mind the EGT and all will be well.

Another thing to remember is to cap the range where the EGO is active, and to put reasonable correction ranges on the adjustment the O2 will be able to make. But a narrow-band is a real limitation, the real way to go is a WBO2, and just skip the old technology altogether.

If I remember correctly for the basic MS you can set the EGO parameters to shut it off completely, allowing for better tuning. I think there is a paragraph about this in the Megamanual

Should be the same for MSS

I guess you could set the software to shut the EGO off and just not install a sensor.

http://www.execulink.com/~jkube/Mainpage_lethalzs.html