HybridZ

Original Scarab Clutch Slave Cylinder?

BobsZTwins

After 9 months of work, I'm th-i-i-i-s close to putting the rebuilt Stage II Turbocharged Scarab 350 back into my 260 (set back ala JTR, plus T56) but I'd like to replace/rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. The stock Z-car cylinder will fit but they're made to be mounted on the right side, not the left as on the Scarab bell housing, so the bleed valve would be on the bottom! So much for bleeding. Anyone know where the Scarab slave was sourced from? It's identical to the stock Z, just "left-handed." Anyone know anyone with an original Scarab or using a Scarab bell housing?

Thanks for any help!

Hey Wayne, good to hear from you!

Ever since "the list" went away, I don't seem to have time to browse through all the Z sites and forums.

I got a 260Z cylinder from NAPA and seems the dimensions are the same, but of course it's for mounting on the right side of a bell housing, the Scarab's on the left. Did Datsun make any with clutch forks on the left side?

I can't wait to finish this beast and get started on my other Z. I ground a lobe off my cam back in October in Gainesville, FL, and haven't had time to work on both at the same time. I plan to pull the engine, send the head to a machine shop and paint the engine bay, replace leaking seals/gaskets and replace the clutch disc....but that's it!!! This isn't going to grow into the 9 month Scarab rebuild!

Two Z's is too much of a good thing?

After 9 months of work' date=' I'm th-i-i-i-s close to putting the rebuilt Stage II Turbocharged Scarab 350 back into my 260 (set back ala JTR, plus T56) but I'd like to replace/rebuild the clutch slave cylinder. The stock Z-car cylinder will fit but they're made to be mounted on the right side, not the left as on the Scarab bell housing, so the bleed valve would be on the bottom! So much for bleeding. Anyone know where the Scarab slave was sourced from? It's identical to the stock Z, just "left-handed." Anyone know anyone with an original Scarab or using a Scarab bell housing?

Thanks for any help![/quote']

I recently sold my Scarab bellhousing and it used a regular Datsun slave cylinder. I had to shorten the rod a little bit when I replaced it due to a leak.

Do you know what year/model Datsun the slave cylinder came off of? My local NAPA parts man helped me go through the catalogue and find a unit that looked right. I ordered it and found it was close enough. But he didn't have a cross reference to tell me what vehicle it was for. The NAPA part number is 37495 if anyone else out there is still using the Scarab bell housing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can pick up my engine & trans from the builder today. Last night they were machining the JTR engine mount spacers to fit my modified set-back plates and machining a spacer to fit between the alternator pulley and fan to get the alignment right with the crank pulley. Then the fun starts again. I'm sure I'm gonna be doin some fitment with a sledge and bottle jack! Glad I saved a little paint!

Evil,

I just checked out your web page. Whoa, you're serious about a unique Z! How much more progress have you made? My 10 year old Mac couldn't load some of the pages. I don't know about you, but my "refresh" has taken about twice as long and about 50% more $ than I originally thought. It just seemed to take on a life of it's own!