HybridZ

7m-gte

Guest eahab1

Guest eahab1

After much debating about whether to rebuild my recently blown 280z engine or turn in hybrid..i decided for the horsepower level i would like to reach for a decent fuel mileage, (350hp) hopefully, more than 18mpg, i decided thati am going to go turbo and try dropping in the 7mgte. For those who have done this, i was wondering where i could get a complete motor , trany, and hopefully a drivesaft from. I looked at watanabe but i want to know if i have any other options excluding getting and old supra...i don't want to spend more than 1500 for a running engine and tranny with working turbo. is this even possible becasue i am on a limited budget because of my student status.

thanks a bunch

Eahab

---------------------------

'77 280z 'blown engine'

'78 280z stock

• 3 weeks later...

Yes this is possible. you should be able to pick up a whole crashed Supra from an insurance auction in your area, or just look for a cheap roach of a car. Expect to change the head gasket right away "they all go". Get a metal one dont even bother with the stock one while your at it get head studs too. Oh and make sure to check and see if this car has always had COOLANT in it I recently finished mine and promplty blew the HG and detonated some pistons too. Tonight the second motor will go in. see my link on the surpa boards here, hope the title dosent ruffel any feathers, but its the truth this motor ROCKS THE HOUSE. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278283 all I have done to this motor is install a t4 60-1 with an "O" trim hotside w/ .70 ar ratio and a big intercooler with 3 inch plumbing in and out and this thing hauls A$$. To be honest I think back on my college days and I probably had the time but not enough money to do it exactly like this but it depends on your resources and fabrication skill level.

As soon as I get my life back in order (I have spent every wakeing moment making this car a reality for the last 3 months) I think I am going to start selling motor mounts, Trans mounts hose kits, Turbo and wastegate adapters shifters and driveshafts.

To be honest 350rwhp will be the max the stock turbo is worth @ maybe 15-18 psi depending on other mods, but it feels awesome in a light weight Z

Also check out this site Clifton helped me every step of the way, Thanks Clifton. http://www.geocities.com/clifton_ragland/Z.html With 533 RWHP Clifton is somewhat of an authority on this motor in this car. I have driven this car and it is SCARY fast. 60-120mph faster than most any other car can go from 0to60.

All I can say is if someone tells you what you cant do, take a look at what they have done. If they havent done anything, they are not worth listening to. If they have made a mistake doing the exact same thing you are going to do, research it to see if you can keep from making the exact same mistake. Chances are one little change and it will all work out for you. I if it dosent you will never make that mistake again.

Dont get your stuff from a junk yard one piece at a time you will spend 4X the price and you will forget at least a dozen things doing it.

Here are a few of the things you will need to make it cheep

Motor(complete as you can get it)

harness (including coil pack, relays, injection resistors)

ECU

Trans

Driveshaft (output at least)

Fuel tank (w/ sender and pump)

throttle cable

gas pedal (complete assembly)

shifter

intercooler

fuel lines and injectors

Turbo

Turbo down pipe

Radiator hoses

IC hoses

A/C compressor (if you want that to work)

oil cooler and lines

Tach guts out of instrument cluster (and needle)

alternator.

Stuff you will need to make or buy

Motor mounts

trans mount

shifter

driveshaft

fuel tank

radiator

IC plumbing

Ehxaust

A/C plumbing

hole in fire wall for ECU

mount for ECU

plumbing for oil cooler

fuel line plumbing

Then the absolute first mod you will NEED is brakes. The stock ones absolutely wont hold up to more than 3-5 hard stops, then you will learn very unforgivingly what brake fade or boiling fluid is all about.

Good luck, and keep me posted.

And yes my conversion has been worth every minute and cent.

AZ