HybridZ

Quick POR-15 Question

exodus1500

sandblasting would do the job just gfine but hitting it with some 80 grit would hurt at all. just giving the por-15 a little more to hold onto. when i did my engine bay all i did was sand down to bear metal, spray on "metal ready", primmer, then paint. so if you sandblast it you should have no problemsl

I have heard horror stories of POR15 clogging guns, that stuff sets up hard as hell, and read the can WEAR GLOVES, trust me, My hands were black for a week, no fun going to school like that. You would be safe to brush it on if you wanted to, it goes on easy and spreads well, plus it dries hard and you dont see the brush marks.

Guest 305240

Go to POR 15's web site and order their new catalog. Lots of new stuff in it. Plus it also tells you how to use it. I've seen a broken console repaired with it and you really have to look to see where it was repaired. I believe it also states you don't have to remove the rust, just paint the stuff over it. I think I would get rid of the big chunks anyway...lol...Check it out.

Jason: Instead of just sandblasting it, have it media blasted with walnut shells. It will remove all of the surface paint and rust, while exposing potential areas of repair. Media blasting does not reduce the metal thickness, and on Z's the metal thickness is a kin to recycled aluminumn cans! Good luck with your project. VAN

My apologies for interrupting this thread. I just got new ZeddFindings floors and im gettin ready to put em on. I've been searching forums and read that this POR 15, metal ready, etc needs to be used. I don't know much about replacing floors, so can anyone provide some text or a link to some specific stepbysteps on what to do?

• 2 weeks later...

you do not have to remove all the rust ... what you want is to remove the flakes, get to a point where you have just surface rust ... commonly known as sweat rust ...

the roughness of the sweat rust will allow the POR 15 to adhere just fine ...

Paint Over Rust ... is what the POR stands for ...

i have used the POR 15 and rust bullet ... both test out by independent labs to be excellent ...

here's link to por 15

http://www.stoprust.net/

i prefer the rust bullet ... less prep, less work ... easier to work with ...

link to rust bullet

http://www.rustbullet.com/?Source=Overture&ovmkt=U9GQ0GJUN19NF5RO5VJGJBDIK4

racerX body man appears to favor zero rust

link ... http://www.zerorust.com/index.htm

as far as the Zedd Findings floors ... contact them and ask for advise on installation ... i would imagine that you'd weld them in place and then coat them with your choice of rust preventive material ... i think that in the FAQ sections of the links i posted, may answer the question of welding through or applying material to freshly welded panels, probably find the info in the FAQ section ..

as far as eastwood's product, rust encapsulator ... and advise on welding, fabbing, rust prevention, ect ...

check out their forum at

http://forum.eastwood.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

hopefully you may find what you are looking for at one of those sites

good luck, wayne

opps almost forgot .. .please use proper safety precautions ... this stuff is more dangerous than we think ... to your lungs, brain, skin, and eyes ...

wear long sleeves, nitrile gloves, high quality air filter, and good eye protection. all of that stuff sticks to everything ... be prepared to only use a brush and related painting equipment once ... if you get it on your clothes, it's permanent ... on your skin ( can you say, tip of your nose is itchy ??? ), it takes weeks to wear ( it won't wash off ) off. if it puddles through a hole in the floor, onto the driveway ... it will be a permanent part of the driveway ( the voice of experience ... it's been over 3 years and it's still there ).

again, in everything we do ... think safety, your family and friends want to see you healthy and in one piece when you're done working on your projects or just crossing the street

for some reason my second thread was deleted..

what about things like a rusty hinge, or little things like that?

and wondering if there was somthing like a thinner that I can rub surface rust with...

otherwise my grider is saying hello..

you won't be able to paint into the pin area of the hinge ... this is most likely where the SQUEAK is coming from ...

you wouldn't want any of the paint type rust preventatives in the pin area of the hinge ... it would freeze the hinge ...

i would suggest a good cleaning solution ... get the rust and crude out of the pin area ... maybe brake kleen, justice brother's, a penetrating oil ... wd 40 is a cleaner ( not a lubricant ) ...

when using these products, protect your paint with good tape and a plastic coated paper of sort ... aluminum foil also works well.

once you believe you have the pin area clean, you will need to lubricate it ... teflon based, silicon based, i use white lithium in a spray can ... a friend of mine uses graphite ... lock lubricant ... it has a light oil and fine graphite that acts as a lubricant the oil keeps it from rusting ...

if you want to paint the hinges on the car, with a rust preventative ...

there is a can of compressed air that one can add their own paint to, making their own can of spray paint ... i think prevail is a name brand of this product . eastwood carries em.

you can spray rust bullet without a special thinner ... get yourself a prevail can, add rust bullet ... have a spray can of rust bullet ...

clean up the hinges, get as much paint off as you can, give the por15/rust bullet metal to cling to.

use vaseline on the hinge pins to mask it from the spray ... use alcohol on a lint free rag to wipe off any excess, properly mask off your doors and fenders, then spray the rust bullet on the hinges ... if you prefer por 15, buy the proper thinner, use the same system, spray the hinges ...

with a high quality brush you can probably paint em without leaving brush marks ...

almost sounds like i know what i'm talking about, don't it ... :-)

Guest 73LT1Z
My apologies for interrupting this thread. I just got new ZeddFindings floors and im gettin ready to put em on. I've been searching forums and read that this POR 15, metal ready, etc needs to be used. I don't know much about replacing floors, so can anyone provide some text or a link to some specific stepbysteps on what to do?

Here you go:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17235