HybridZ

RB26DETT - How Difficult?

quickdraw

On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being any guy with a ratchet and a screwdriver can do it and 10 being full-fledged ASE certified "I can build a car out of a watermelon" kind-of guy) how difficult is the RB26DETT install process?

Just so you guys know I have read through most of the major RB26 threads but I just wanted the opinion of the guys who have done it. I have about four to six months (i hope) of body/brake/suspension work to do before I decide on an engine. Just window shopping.

J. Soileau - I noticed you are in Louisiana also but 240Z Turbo (who is doing some of your work right?) is in Florida. Is that the nearest shop that does this kind of work? I haven't been able to find much else.

Thanks,

Tanner McGraw

Guest JAMIE T

It's a 9. It actually has very little to do with being a mechanic. You gotta be damn good at just about every aspect of fabrication. No one makes intercooler kits. So, you'll have to pay someone to do it if you are short on fabrication skills You can buy the motor mounts, but the trans mount is custom fabricated everytime. The only oil pan that is commercially available is very hard to get. So, you'll need to buy a or build a fabricated oil pan. The drive shaft will need to be modified(most guys don't do this themselves anyway). Then you'll need to figure out the throttle cable arrangement. By this point, you'll be realizing the stock brakes are for crap and you'd better upgrade them too. If you're a novice mechanic and no sort of fabricator, you'll pay for alot of things to get done. I'm not saying it can't be done. It will just cost ALOT more since you'll need to buy a welder(wire, gas, helmet, etc...) Then you'll need to learn how to use it(not hard to learn, but you don't want to learn on your IC pipe, etc...). IMHO, the chevy engine swap is easier. But, not nearly as exotic.

Thanks for the reply. I would consider myself a novice mechanic but I like to learn. I have most of the tools I would need including a welder, but some of the fabrication would have to be done by a professional.

I'd still love to hear other's opinions as well.

Jamie T- what do you have in your Z?

Guest JAMIE T

RB26DETT, What else... LOL.

It's not done yet. I'm in the "while I'm at it" stage.

My car is completely disassembled and getting all new suspension, brakes, etc...

RB26DETT' date=' What else... LOL.

It's not done yet. I'm in the "while I'm at it" stage.

My car is completely disassembled and getting all new suspension, brakes, etc...[/quote']

As soon as I clicked out of the thread I saw a few of your posts and figured it out. When all is said and done, how much do you think you will have spent on the motor, tranny, and the install?

My car is on a rotisserie currently, so I am a long way from finished. I would much rather drop a Nissan six cylinder turbocharged engine in than a chevy or ford.

Guest JAMIE T

I bought a complete ready to run set-up from Stony. Including that and another engine, and just about ALL of the supporting hardware, I have over $20K in PARTS. It will be a fine example of a zcar, and it will not be sold for under $30K when/if that time ever comes. It is going to of the highest quality and have over 600HP at the wheels.

I bought a complete ready to run set-up from Stony. Including that and another engine, and just about ALL of the supporting hardware, I have over $20K in PARTS. It will be a fine example of a zcar, and it will not be sold for under $30K when/if that time ever comes. It is going to of the highest quality and have over 600HP at the wheels.

you're scarin' me

A solid 9 is definitely accurate. I would give it a 9 on cost also. Thought I would chime in on this one. I do not have an RB26DETT. I was considering this swap and let me tell you it is big bucks to do. A buddy of mine is doing the RB25det swap instead for that reason. The RB25DET can be plenty fast and fun. The motors are cheaper the plumbing is a bit easier (in the sense you are only dealing with one turbo instead of two). The RB26DETT is impressive and I would love to have the bragging factor of having it and having done it. With that said I passed because of the cost. If you want something a whole lot easier you might want to swap the 280ZX Turbo drivetrain instead. Most if it is bolt on and less fabrication. I did that swap and it came out nice. I was getting about 340 hp with 420cc injectors, JWT computer, hybrid T3 turbo and Spearco intercooler. Its getting to be a bit more common now. I saw a bunch of them at the Motor Sport Auto show today. Its really up to you, but I bought a house instead of the RB26DETT and if I had plenty of money to fund this project I would do it. I just threw in my .02 in the hopes you realize exactly what you are getting into. If you do opt to do it take lots of pictures and keep posting.

Good luck,

Mark

A solid 9 is definitely accurate. I would give it a 9 on cost also. Thought I would chime in on this one. I do not have an RB26DETT. I was considering this swap and let me tell you it is big bucks to do. A buddy of mine is doing the RB25det swap instead for that reason. The RB25DET can be plenty fast and fun. The motors are cheaper the plumbing is a bit easier (in the sense you are only dealing with one turbo instead of two). The RB26DETT is impressive and I would love to have the bragging factor of having it and having done it. With that said I passed because of the cost. If you want something a whole lot easier you might want to swap the 280ZX Turbo drivetrain instead. Most if it is bolt on and less fabrication. I did that swap and it came out nice. I was getting about 340 hp with 420cc injectors' date=' JWT computer, hybrid T3 turbo and Spearco intercooler. Its getting to be a bit more common now. I saw a bunch of them at the Motor Sport Auto show today. Its really up to you, but I bought a house instead of the RB26DETT and if I had plenty of money to fund this project I would do it. I just threw in my .02 in the hopes you realize exactly what you are getting into. If you do opt to do it take lots of pictures and keep posting.

Good luck,

Mark[/quote']

Thanks for you opinion Mark. I still would like to do the swap, but it is becoming more "iffy".

Would someone that has completed (or nearly completed) the swap break it down into where the cost is going.

Engine/Tranny-

Differential?-

Custom Piping-

etc.-

Guest SS-Z31
Thanks for you opinion Mark. I still would like to do the swap' date=' but it is becoming more "iffy".

Would someone that has completed (or nearly completed) the swap break it down into where the cost is going.

Engine/Tranny-

Differential?-

Custom Piping-

etc.-[/quote']

I'm kinda interested in this too... I've been planning and researching doing this motor in my Z31... a little different than a 240z but price shouldn't be too far off...

Engine 3500-5000 depending on where you get it and who has one available

Tranny- 500-1500 again same as above.

Intercooler 500

Intercooler piping 200-500 for someone to fab if you can’t do it.

clutch 500-1500 depending on what you get.

custom length Drive shaft if you don’t get the stuff that bolts in 300.

exhaust for twin turbo. Stock down pipe from gtr will not work. 700-1500 depending on if you know someone or can do this on your own. fuel pump upgrade. 3-600 depending on if you just install a low end FI pump or go all out with tank pickup mods and run -8 braided line to the motor. I used the -6 stock line. but will be upgrading to -8 once back halve is done.

chassis

need to do something with the brakes. 500-4000 depending on what you want.

need to put some sort or roll bar or cage as even a stock rb26 will start to twist the Z unibody.

that’s just the big stuff. There is alot more little nickel and dime things that im not gonna spell out here.

this swap cannot be done for less then 8K. If I had to do it all over again and I was in the states when I do it id go with something else. I loved the rb26 and will not change it in the near future but again i was in Japan when i did mine and got my motor and tranny and alot of the other required stuff for a fraction of what it costs in the US. and i also had a vast knowledge base in japan.