HybridZ

Clunk noise coming from drivetrain!?! (not good)

Guest 1982280zxt

Guest 1982280zxt

Hey, was driving my '82 280ZxT yesterday with a friend following and all of a sudden i go to accelerate and blunk blunk blunk. Felt like the driveshaft was going to break through the floorboards. First thing I thought, universal. Nothing was hanging down (driveshaft) so i slowwwwwwwlyyy snailed my way about 6 miles home. I tried to put it into neutral and coast but it still did it. I got under it today and the driveshaft has no play in it. Hmmmm? Starting to think the tranny or rearend. If it helps, tranny has been slipping lil bit until it warms up or "gets uo to par." Someone told me it is a weak pump. But yeah, back to original problem, drivetrain making clunk clunk very loudly. Jerking car back a lil everytime. Hmmm any ideas? Happen to you guys before? Hmmm

Most likely broke the front diff mount. Put a jack under the front of the diff and push up on it. With good light you will most likely see the rubber diff mount has come unglued from the metal mounting plate.

Very common with Z's. Probably one of the weakest design features of a Z.

Although I agree that it sounds like a diff mount, I think that the 280ZX design is significantly different than the Z's. I do not think that the 280ZX has a front mount per say, it bolts directly to the subframe. The rear diff mount though could be the culprit. As Pop N Wood said, put a jack under the diff and look for play.

I had to replace the rear mount on my 83, and the symptom's were very similar, load clunk noise.

Joshua

Guest 1982280zxt

yes, i have checked many thing out this morning onto this afternoon. i think i have centered it down to the half shaft driver's side axle. Noticed the boot was broken and took it out of the rear end. It is bad, i am just hoping it is the problem. will find out when i get the new one in GASP 7 DAYS!!!!!!! bs i think, but gotta order what cha gotta order. the rear end in my 81 parts car (n/a) is a different rear than mine.. hmmmm makes me think, different size brakes and everything... that normal i am guessing?

Could be the rust monster has got your zx.. IIRC the rear subframe is attached to the car by two rubber mounts at the front, in the floor/unibody just behind the seats. It's kinda like a body mount in a typical pickup truck. From my years of Z ownership in salty Ontario Canada I've noticed that particular spot can get quite weak over time and basicaly rot right through. The sub frame being heavier guage steel, ussualy lasts longer. Hopefully this isn't your problem, but I wanted to mention it in case you havn't thought of it. Could just be one of the rubbers has worn out.