HybridZ

Boost!!!

schwiplarkin

Guest ON3GO

thumper on his 280zx all stock internals and T3.. runs 18-20psi..

i ran 16psi but ill be running 18 on my T3.. when the new turbo goes on ill run 20psi on stock internals.

mike

• 1 year later...
Guest Cronic

Back on the stock turbo, for 2 years solid I was running 20+psi daily. The turbo did not like to hold that boost on some days, and on others consistantly went to the "O" in "BOOST" on my autometer guage. :D

Rest assured with the proper tuning, the bottom end is solid on stock turbo for as much air, or hot air, you want to throw at it.

Once you go bigger however, it gets more difficult to tune. I never once heard detonation on the stock turbo. I always ran 93 octane, and had 2 extra 700cc injectors spraying into the throttle body to keep things in check, with an SDS EIC system. I've never pissed so many people off in my life, then with my beater ass 280zx.

You dont need to have a boost controller. But if you plan to change your boost levels you do.

And a turbo timer really doesnt have anything to do with the turbo itself. It just keeps your car running for a specific amount of time after you turn off the ingnition. So NO, its not really needed if you just let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting it off.

and is a turbo timer really necessary on just a stock system or is that more for one that has had a bigger turbo added?

Actually our turbos are in more of a need of a turbo timer than newer turbos. This is because ours are only cooled with oil. Newer turbos have oil and water cooling. This helps the turbo keep from cooking the bearings after a hard blast through the gears. But you don't NEED a turbo timer. All you have to do is after you have run half-way hard is idle it for about 60 seconds and then turn it off. If you run your car hard alot then this can and will get annoying so its worth getting a $90 turbo timer. Also with the apexi turbo timer you can input your wideband into and it will display your a/f ratios. So you can save on getting a gauge for your lc-1 or lm-1 or whatever brand wideband you have. Heck it even has a volt meter in it so you save yourself on another guage.