HybridZ

Incorporating turn signals into headlight housing

Guest zman240

Guest zman240

I'm just wondering if anybody has some knowledge of how to incorporate turn signal bulbs into the H4 style headlight housings. I've heard of street rod guys doing this all the time, but none of their forums pay any mention of the matter- might be just a matter of trial and error (or at least its going to come down to that, like everything else! :) ). I'm wondering:

1. where to insert the bulb into the housing so as not to interfere with the light pattern/heat of the head light (if it matters, though it probably does not)

2. what kind of fixture to use in order to mount the 1157 (56?) turn signal bulb inside of the head light

3. how to do it all the 'right' way, which is so often the most difficult part

Thanks!

I remember once on Ebay seeing a 7" round headlights with 2 bulbs in it. One was the normal driving light and the other was a yellow bulb, which in a abstract way, could be used as a turn signal. Glare, when the headlights are on, was the only concern I would have, but I did not investigate them any further. I believe the OEM Z bucket would need to be modified to make room for the extra socket (above/below) the driving light socket.

Metallicar, you're probably thinking of Memo Imports . Product #1001H. I have these lights installed in the GNZ. Pictures are in the link in my signature. The problem with the turn signals, were they are NOT bright enough, so I wired in 3 bright LED's for each light. Also, I needed to make an adapter to mount these lights so I could still use the Z's headlight adjusters. Oh yeah, I also had to modify the back of the headlight bucket.

What I like about the lights you found is not only does it seem to already have some sort of adapter, but it also has "...kit also includes bulbs, fusible link, fog light switch, switch mounting panel and necessary wiring and connectors." For an extra $50 more than Memo Imports, I would definetly get these lights!

!M!

Mat73GNZ, you could use the H3 for a 55Watt Signal Light!

Phil1934, I think that the mount problem would be that the bulb housing does not fit in the stock headlamp bucket, or am I confused about your question?

If the stock bucket is modified, the same 7" ring could hold the new bulb housing into the bucket.

Guest zman240

Alright! Thanks for all the advice; much appreciated :-D. I really had no idea there was so much already out there in this little "niche of concern", especially the VW lights H4/turnsignal/foglight combo. Those things are VERY nice, especially on your Z, Mr. Mat73GNZ . . . very nice indeed . . . Thanks again!

Guest Phil1934

Memo said theirs had the mounting rib so I ordered the lights and plan to use the H3 bulb as a turn signal. It's 55 watts, same as a halogen replacement for an 1157. Is the top clear or amber? If clear, I'll put in a clear bulb and make running lights.

Alright! Thanks for all the advice; much appreciated . I really had no idea there was so much already out there in this little "niche of concern", especially the VW lights H4/turnsignal/foglight combo. Those things are VERY nice, especially on your Z, Mr. Mat73GNZ . . . very nice indeed . . . Thanks again!
Thanks! :mrgreen:

Memo said theirs had the mounting rib so I ordered the lights and plan to use the H3 bulb as a turn signal. It's 55 watts, same as a halogen replacement for an 1157. Is the top clear or amber? If clear, I'll put in a clear bulb and make running lights.

They have a mounting ring? That's new. Well, I did buy these lights a few years ago, so the design might have changed.

I'm not sure if using the H3 fog light will work well for the turn signal. The running light is seperated from the H4 and H3 light by a piece of plastic inside the light. Using the H3 fog light as a turn signal at night, might bleed the yellow light (do they make yellow H3 lights?) into the rest of the light and make it hard to see. I guess you won't know unless you try though.

The top is not yellow. Memo's light uses a cheap yellow instrument panel light. The whole face of the light is made out of glass, so be carefull. At the time, it took like 3 or 4 months for the lights to get to me, so I installed the clear headlight covers to keep them from getting damaged.

Let us know what his lights look like now. If the headlights now have a mounting ring, maybe some other stuff has changed also.

!M!

Guest Phil1934

Well, they lied. The glass part is the same OD as the retaining rib on a sealed beam but over 1/2" tall. A larger flange on the back holds the mounting screws. I've got some frenched lights in '39 Olds housings I'll check to see if I can work these into. If not, I'll grind off the rear flange and cut a retaining groove with an abrasive blade (and hope the glass is at least 1/8" on the sides) and mount them in the Dietz buckets on the '34.