HybridZ

Basic Questions

Guest newb81280zx

Guest newb81280zx

I've been into cars a few years now and am now starting to learn more about american cars. I've been searching and am still confused about the difference between a big block and small block engine. I thought a long block was a full engine and a short block was just the block... but I am confused on this also. Also can anyone give me the basics on a stroker engine? I didn't want to have to ask this, but its better than being clueless forever. Thanks.

A short block is usually just the block fitted with the crank, pistons, and rods.

A long block adds to that cylinder heads, timing chain, and timing cover and sometimes an oil pan.

"Small blocks" generally refer to the smaller V8 sizes, typically between 305-400ci" (some aftermarket companies produce "small blocks" that go over 400ci, however, as a general rule, Chevy has not produced many 400+ci small blocks. Generally, all small block engine exterior components are interchangeable and some interior components are interchangeable.

Big blocks generally range from 454ci-502ci.

For all intensive purposes, most people begin with a small block 350ci. There is no big block 350 that I know of.

big block and small block are completely different. No parts are interchangeable. The physical dimensions of the blocks are simply different.

Chevy used to make the 348 "W" engine, which was a "big block..."

Stroking is simply chaning the crankshaft stroke of an engine to increase displacement. A very popular "stroker" is swapping out a 3.48'' crank in a standard Chevy 350 small block and replacing it with a 3.75'' crank to make a 377 cubic inch (383 inches if you also do a .030'' overbore) engine.

As above, short block has no cylinder heads, long block has cylinder heads. These are just various levels of completion of either a big block or a small block engine which you would purchase.

Guest newb81280zx

This is very helpful. This all makes sense I think a lot of people just randomly say big block/ small block, which gets confusing. Thanks guys

4950222_3368758.jpg

BIG BLOCK

2068295_3420790.jpg

SMALL BLOCK

they are two totally differant designs, big block chevy FACTORY PRODUCED sizes from 366-572 are available, weight tends to run about 100-150 lbs more than a small block and the basic engine is about 2" taller.2"wider and 2"longer than a small block

small blocks chevy FACTORY PRODUCED sizes from 266-400 are available

http://www.performanceunlimited.com/documents/engineweights.html

http://www.performanceunlimited.com/documents/enginedimensions.html

short block

8638576_9178694.jpg

4- bolt main block with 1-piece rear main seal, 5.700" P/M rods, and nodular iron crankshaft. Fully assembled - less cam, lifters and timing set,, oil pan,damper,flywheel, heads,intake, timing cover, water pump.

long block

small_8030208_535048.jpg

in addition to short block a long block normally includes heads,cam,valvetrain,timing cover, and oil pan.

still missing is a waterpump,damper,flywheel,intake, carb,distributor,exhaust manifolds, ETC.

deluxe crate engine,("TURN KEY")

small_5475887_2573012.jpg

complete DELUXE crate engines normally include most of the missing parts