HybridZ

Going to the track tomorrow to best my last time

dr_hunt

Well, going over the z today, found a vacuum cap off the back of the carb base plate, when this happened on my monte it cost me 2 tenths. Fabricated a throttle cable bracket as it seemed the autozone special was moving and not letting me get full throttle, I think anyway. Going to up the timing or at least try to check it, it was bouncing all over the place the other day and I don't really know what it's set at, I think it was at 35 BTDC but I'm not sure. Could be the timing light or could be something else. It's an old MAC timing light I've had for 25 years. Got new M/T 29.5x9x15 slicks this week so I'll slap those on in the AM. Adjusted the rear coilovers and lowered the rear of the car 1.5 inches and cut the fenderwells with a cutoff saw for more clearance, probably won't help performance but it looks better not having the *** end sticking up in the air. Track in Alb. has gone to night racing now so maybe the air will be a little better as well. Hoping I can get it into the tens tomorrow.

I checked the alb. airport weather and the density air was at 6600 feet. Still sucky, but it's the best I've seen this year.

Good Luck Doc...make sure your fender wells dont slam on top of your tires. Its like a knife going thru hot butter. Mine did and almost cut through the damn tires. That would have been a disaster. My tires are only 27 inch tall and I cut out the fender to accomodate. Are your tires fully inside the wells? Be careful!

Terry

Yup, checked for WOT, got that, the cheapo bracket only bolts to one carb stud so it would rotate just enough to not get WOT. I fabbed something to make it work, installed it last night at 12:30.

Checked density altitude last night and it was 6600. I'll see what it is today.

The timing is what's bothering me, I tried to set it and it's bouncing all over the place, which makes me think the timing light is old and busted. Never know, could be the cap and rotor needs replacing as well. Haven't checked rotor phasing yet either and it's adjustable on this rotor (MSD). I have a 7AL2 box and maybe it's going as well, dunno.

Last time shifted at 6K went through the lights at 6500, new motor and all, didn't want to step on it real hard. So, this time we'll see if it likes to go 7K at the 1-2 shift. Ordering a trans brake as well, so that'll help the launch, I think. Lowering the rear of the car should help with weight transfer, although I didn't have any problems before, besides, it looks better. I don't like the 4500 stall converter from the hillbillies in TX as much as I like the Art Carr converter from El Paso that's in my Monte, so I think I'll change that later as well.

The upper portion of my fenderwells are rolled, so they aren't sharp, I had to trim the lower portion from where the bumper used to go down cause the 29.5's were awefully close, in fact they had hit, probably on the top end, and kind of wadded the lower rear quarter a little. So, trimmed those about an inch and ground off the sharp edges. Yup, tires are in the wells, only 9 inch wide.

In the video's the car doesn't squat in the rear at all, just picks up the front and goes. I got springs for 1400 lb rear car weight, probably too heavy, but I'll play with that later. Those QA1 coilovers with adjustable race shocks are awesome, if you all ever go 9 inch, get that kit off ebay, delivered for $400.

Well, it's still pig rich, won't get above 150 degrees temp even with the fan off, but timing is rock steady at 40 BTDC, short shifting at 6K, ran 11.290 @ 121.25, 1.641 60', 7.227 at the 1/8th. Made it to the quarter finals before I went to sleep at the tree. Let a buddy drive it and he went 11.20 @ 122.19.

I'll post my time slip later. Next is leaning out the carb and dropping the timing to 35 and start tuning from there.