HybridZ

choosing a transmission

rayaapp2

What are most of you running on your VG series engines for transmissions?

I am trying to get a Mazda guy to convert his RX-7 from Ford V8 to VG. Or at least trying to give him a little nudge. He already likes the platform so it's not going to be hard. He has a stroked 302 pushing around 300hp

Anyway.

He has money. Building a good motor will not be a problem. He wants 600hp. How realisic is that?

As far as the tranny goes for big HP:

What is a bolt on?

What is easily modify-able

All the stock specs I have seen for T-5 are around 320 Ft of torque. I have seen a few others that have been built up for larger HP and torque applications so I know that will work, so what else?

thanks

z31.com has a breakdown of the different transmissions used in the z31

the later years used the same trans as a z32tt' date=' and those have been known to hold up 500+hp in the twin turbo body[/quote']

Yeah the 87-89 use the same tranny as the Z32, and actually has been known to hold over 1000WHP, so more then your willing to throw at it.

• 3 months later...
What are most of you running on your VG series engines for transmissions?

I am trying to get a Mazda guy to convert his RX-7 from Ford V8 to VG. Or at least trying to give him a little nudge. He already likes the platform so it's not going to be hard. He has a stroked 302 pushing around 300hp

Anyway.

He has money. Building a good motor will not be a problem. He wants 600hp. How realisic is that?

As far as the tranny goes for big HP:

What is a bolt on?

What is easily modify-able

All the stock specs I have seen for T-5 are around 320 Ft of torque. I have seen a few others that have been built up for larger HP and torque applications so I know that will work' date=' so what else?

thanks[/quote']

What year mazda Rx-7? I put a VQ into one of my rx-7's. It didn't fit too well. The front sump of the engine ends up about where the steering rack was. Have to do some modifications to get it to fit.

Anyway...I did and It's running round on the street. I'm not sure I'd recommend it in the RX-7 though. There are easier engines to put in there.

Link to my project.

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=22517&page=1&pp=25

I now have a 350z oil pan on it and a differerent trans (this one does not have the 3rd gear grind). Working on some minor details now.

Thaniel