HybridZ

Is the Z a racecar or cruise-car?

TomoHawk

I've met some people since I got my car, and one of the first things they say is, "Don't expect to race that car, it was meant for touring, not racing.?

Is that what Datsun originally designed it to be? I like to think of it as a faster touring car.

the datsun was designed to be the cheaper alternative to the mustang/camaro counterparts. If you want to get technical, it's a touring car for the reason that it is a pony car, and can be labeled as a GT car, ie. grand touring. It's a 2 seater, rwd, light, with good responsive handling. What do you define as touring? And if it wasn't meant to be raced, what was Peter Brock of BRE doing with the 240z? heck, the 510 was supposed to be a commutter sedan/coupe/wagon, but look how it turned out for autox and racing smile.gif

Touring: to go driving on country roads and highways at speed while enjoying the air in your face, through your hair and excitement as the scenery goes by in an almost-blur.

You want slow? try a horse-drawn carriage.

Real fast isn't for the road. Race your car on a racecourse. But, around here, most country roads have a speed limit of about 55-60.

yeah, but touring can apply to any car. the Z isn't the TRUE definition of a sports car, but it's a sport coupe. true sportscar is something lightweight, rwd, mid/front engine placement, decent handling, 2 seater open top. today's qualifiers are miata, bmw z3, porsche boxster, toyota mr spyder, and a few others i can't think of. the Z is shy of that title by a convertible margin. The 1600 and 2000 roadster would fit the definition

Guest Anonymous

The Z is a two seater sports car designed upon a Ferarri 250 GTO race car. Cut the top off and there is no question what it is. The car was introduced during a time when all convertible models were being discontinued in the US and therefore the fastback coupe like a Cobra Daytona GT 40 or the 250 GTO. And for not being a "sports car" the introdiction of the Z caused the importation of British sports cars (two seat roadster convertibles) to slow to a trickle.What was readily available at the time with any performance better than a VW bug was 240 Z's and Corvettes. MGBs did not cut it.

what i meant by "the z is anything you make it to be" was exactly what i wrote.

You can make it a race car. throw some performance stuff into it and you can haul around a race track.

you can make it a strip car. Throw some powerful things under the hood, and there you go down the track.

you can make it a cruise car, nothing wrong with that. add some nice wheels, a nice paint job, a loud system, and cruise to the local hang out.

the z has so much potential that it can be anything.