HybridZ

50th Anniversary V8 Car

Guest davelogan77

Guest davelogan77

Hello All,

I just picked up an 84 50th Anniversary 300ZX.

It doesnt run, but I only paid $800.00 for it.

It is my next project car.

I have been trying to find someone else in the Nissan motor swap world who has dropped a V8 in one of these things, and am having a really hard time finding pictures even....

Any one know of someone who has at least done an 84 or newer car, it doesnt have to be the "50th Anny" version.

Im just curious of what I have to look foreword to.

I hope these links work, heres a few pics of my $800 GEM!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/davelogan77/Nissan%20300ZX/DSC01282.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/davelogan77/Nissan%20300ZX/DSC01289.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/davelogan77/Nissan%20300ZX/DSC01284.jpg

davelogan77

Guest davelogan77

The car has a hung valve, so this means I'd have to pull the head...

not a basic repair in my book. Anyway, I bought the car with the sole intention of building it as a street race straight liner, so anything the car offers past that, Im going to consider a bonus (good handling , T-Tops, etc. etc..)

So it would be a better value to me to have a built V8 than a repaired V6.

Tell me if I sound crazy...

I usually do not post when I see people building cars specifically to do street racing but I will leave my opinions out of this.

You did not say how quick you want the car to be and considering the weight of the completed swap (my guess is 3600lbs w/driver) anything but a healthy V-8 will be no quicker than the run-of-mill street car. You might consider investing in fixing the engine and making a tidy profit from a resale and going with a lightweight S30 instead. A 12.50 car is average these days on the street and your 3600lb Z31 would require about 365+ at the wheels while a 2800lb 240Z would require 285. If you are going SBF, forget the average 5.0L as it will need lots of steroids to get your 365rwhp. IOW, be prepared to dump $$$ in the engine.

Anyway, I remember seeing one so search this forum and do a Google with lots of search combinations.

Guest Aaron

My dad did an '84, but he solid mounted the engine as it is a drag only car. Not what you want in a street car. You will not be able to keep the stock hood with a carb. With FI, you may be able to hide the v8. There have been a couple others, search and you shall find. I have posted in most of the z31 threads for the past couple years, so look for my posts.

240z weighs about 2300 curb with a 225hp stock 302 from alot of 90's stangs you would pretty much be at 10lb/hp which is a good spot, note: i think the 302 is acctually lighter then the I-6 it is replacing so bonus on that.... tranny may be heavier...

plus the 302 got room to grow... gt-40 heads and x303 or e303 cam you will see 340hp and 305 lb/ft i think not positive. Also you can always buy a $1895 300hp, $2095 320hp, or a $2395 340 hp long block 302 from centralcoastmustang.net i have never bought any but they seem cheap for what they are.

So id say go with the 240z, first gen's have less amenities but if your drag racing.....

Guest Aaron

Duh! I just realized this is in the Ford forum. My dad's and the other v8's I know of were all Chevy's. I don't know how a Ford will work in one.

3600 lbs with driver? My Z31 weighed 2970 without me before I pulled the V6. (With me on board you may be right at about 3600:)) After the swap (355sbc/350th) the car weighed 2900 lbs. I lost the air conditioner and the front bumper. the rear is 20 lbs heavier than the front, but I can live with that.;)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/665777

Guest davelogan77

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it, I'll be pulling the old Turbo V6 out this weekend -hopefully-.

Which is the point of no return, after that I have no choice to do a "BUILT" V8.

I might have a Windsor lined up through my Dad, if it happens I will have a std. bore 351 windsor to work with, I have allready decided, no matter what I end up with, I am for sure using AFR Heads.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/

Also, if funds permit, a stroler kit will find its way into my crankcase.

If anyone else has anymore install pics of Chevy's of Fords, I like it, please post em all.

Thanks!