HybridZ

Stock 280ZX Turbo, what octane fuel is okay?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Hey all, quick question, have a friend who just bought an '83 ZX Turbo, bone stock, and is asking me what octane he is safe using? He's kinda low on cash... like... all the time, so wants to know if it's safe to run 87 or 89 octane or does he NEED to run 91.

Guest bastaad525

*grumble* so which is it guys? this guy is broke and really doesn't want to spring for 91 if he doesn't have to, but at the same time I'm warning him like crazy because I dont want to see him blow the motor on a car he just bought... hey I've been thru that I KNOW the pain!

If I were in his shoes I would not run less than 89 octane. California gas quality is lacking and so. cal. is warm enough. The savings from 89 to 87 is not worth the risk in my opinion (think hot day, someone in integra or golf pushing your buttons........fill in the blanks), even if you are broke. However I don't have first hand exprience of 87 cal. octane damaging a stock set up. Nor would I try to obtain the experience ;)

Guest bastaad525

Well there it is there. I told the guy, any less than 89 and he's asking for it. I pounded the point home for like 5 minutes straight. If he runs 87 and blows it, I'm gonna LAUGH my *** off and hand him a whole damn 20 pound sack of I-told-you-so's.

I have a feeling it wont be very long before I get to do just that.

Guest bastaad525

well damn see if I knew THAT... was hoping someone with an original owners manual would pitch in. Well whatever I already told him 89, but at least I don't have to be worried for him if he decides to cheap out and go 87

well damn see if I knew THAT... was hoping someone with an original owners manual would pitch in. Well whatever I already told him 89, but at least I don't have to be worried for him if he decides to cheap out and go 87

The original owner's manual is going to list it using the RON scale. I remember reading on jeffp's site that he used 87 octane when he was stock.