HybridZ

Exhaust harmonics

y-not

twin 2.5" feed exhaust pipes to the twin entrance pipes of the (Y) from the collectors to a 3" single exhaust with the spiral baffles installed should be easily large enought for a 331 displacement and yeah the baffles work like a muffler to some extent but it will be loud, if its too loud for your taste add one of those 3" mufflers. I don,t see why you want a single exhaust over a full length dual exhaust with an (X) installed close to the collectors

f8_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4550989354&category=34203

im thinking twin 2.5 to a 3 inch (-2.75 sq in over dual 2.5") or 3.5 inch (-.2 in square in over dual 2.5) i thinkt he 3.5 in will be more close to a dual 2.5" size but is a 3 in more than enough? if so i will probably use the turck/suv aero turbine muffler... if i did that, would it be wise to still use the baffles?

2nd idea is a dual 2.5 to a 3.5" with a baffle and two cones, would this be about as loud as a muffler or do the baffles/cones only cut out noise to a certain extent?

while your correct that twin 2.5" feeds have a greater cross section than a single 3" and a single 3.5" would be better matched a single 3" will be reasonably effective and not too restrictive simply because the exhaust voluum will cool/condense by the time it gets that far, yeah a 3.5" will be better but not mandatory and at some point compromises due to clearances/packaging room become critical

the baffles don,t pose a huge restriction in a 3.5" single exhaust,and I doubt the muffler will be necessary, using the spiral baffles,in a 3" single your probably better off running the muffler without the baffles

I don,t see why you want a single exhaust over a full length dual exhaust with an (X) installed close to the collectors, the dual exhaust has advantages in that you can use dual mufflers, lowering the total restriction in the system yeah it costs more but its low restriction and on a 331 displacement you could even get by with a full 2.5" system with the (X) splitting the flow and lowering the restriction.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to kick up an old thread but:

Wavelength = 1100 X 60 X 1/RPM X 1/4 X 1/2

or

Wavelength = 8250 / RPM

Wavelength = standing wavelength

1100 = speed of sound in air in feet per second

60 = convert RPM to Revs per second

RPM = RPM

1/4 = four cylender firings per revolution (make this 1/2 for "true dual")

1/2 = standing wavelength is half the wavelength of a "normal" wave

Is that in inches or feet? Also, how would one work out the math for a single as there would be two lengths before the pipes joined.

How does resonance work with say a 4000rpm and 8000rpm mix. 4000rpm gives 2.0625 unit length and 1.0315 units for 8000 rpm. Does that mean every multiple of length 1.0315 will resonate at 8,000 rpm? Only half the time at 4,000? Thanks!