HybridZ

Transmission leaking oil

PapaSmurf

Hey guys I was crawling around under my car today looking at my U joints when I noticed some serious leakage coming from my transmision. It looks to be oil and it's coming from the portion of the transmission nearest the driveshaft directly under the shifter. It looks like its actually coming from a Hose that goes up and into my engine compartment but I couldn't trace it all the way. Does anyone know what this hose's purpose is for? Does it share oil between the engine and transmission? I have no experiance with manual transmissions so pardon my ignorance

*edit*

This is a 5 speed by the way

awesome thanks a million

*edit*

hey where can I find these O rings to buy and how do I refil this thing with oil? What oil do I use? I couldnt see anywhere to add oil to it but it's probably on top (duh) and I cant really get to it from underneath can I? Do I have to take the whole transmission off in order to refill with oil? It's been rather hard to shift since I got it, almost toooo hard so I'm worried about damage!

I bought the o-rings from Nissan about 10 years ago when I did mine. I think if I had to do it over again I'd see if the parts store had stuff that would work.

The fill plug is on the driver's side about 1/2 way up. With the car level you fill it until oil just reaches the fill plug and starts to leak back out. I think on the trans it should be a 1/2" square drive plug, so you just take your 1/2 ratchet and plug it right in.

Oil recommended is regular old gear oil. 80-90 will work fine. If you change it and it is still a little clunky you might try mixing the oil with ATF 50/50. Thins the oil up a little for a bit faster shift.