HybridZ

Vague question.... but... how much room is available with tokico or stock struts/springs installed for backspacing on a 240z? so what im getting at is, at a reasonable distance out, say for a 16", 17", 18" rim how much room is there from the place where the wheel bolts onto to the nearest obstruction (in inches)? Just wanting to know if these 18X9.5 rear +35mm ofset and 18X 7.5 +38mm offset rims will fit a tokico'd suspension. Other option is a 17X9 rear +38mm and 17X7 +38mm...t hanks!

also....

can someone explain to me how people who run a wheel width of x can have the tire tread in mm so far off from the rim width. For instance. width of 7.5" translates to a 190mm tire tread width if they sit exactly ontop of eachother. Now how does someone fit a 205 or even a 225 on that? thanks!

Stay with a 0 offset and do not go past a 7.5" wheel (4.25" BS) with stock strut tubes (not coilovers). Stay with 225 or smaller tire width. You might be able to get wider than those sizes but rubbing could be a problem, different brand tires verry in size. The 225 measurement is not the tread width but the over all carcass width. The lower the profile of the tire the wider the wheel should be for a given tire width. EX. (not sure it it is accurate) 225/60 on a 6.5" wheel; 225/50 on a 7" wheel; 225/40 on a 7.5" wheel; 225/35 on an 8" wheel. All of this onfo can be found by searching in the archives, hundreds of threads on this subjec have been posted over the years.

I think I had my wheels (16 X 8), dang smilie, Eight) set for a backspacing of 4 5/8" which left about 3/8" between the section width and the strut.

In regards to your last question, the wheel size of 7.5" is measured on the inside of the lip (where the bead of the tire is). The lip is usually .5 inches wide each, so the outside width of a 7.5" wheel is 8.5," PLUS the advertised width of a tire in millimeters (e.g 205, 225, etc) is the section width and not the tread width. So a 7.5" wheel is 215mm wide if measured on the outside edges. A 225mm tire on this wheel will have a "bulge" of about 5mm on each side with a tread width close to the wheel's width (or less).

ok well i wanted ot run these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7973970382&category=43958

but it seems the offset is just too great where do you guys recommend looking for wheels that can fit about a 255-265 rear and a 215-225 front? im sticking to 4 lug thats why those looked so appealing