HybridZ

General "AN" Fitting question

First time using the flared AN fittings... should i assemble these like brake lines, no teflon on the threads? I'm using them for my fuel line connection 7psi max.

I was going to assemble them without anything but thought I might check with the other guys here to see what they use.

-Ed

Teflon tape/pipe dope ONLY needs to be applied to NPT (or other more obscure tapered) threads. This is due to the taper cut into those threads, and the fact that the threads are the seal.

No straight thread needs tape. Period. Everything with straight thread uses another method of creating a positive seal, either o-ring, taper, etc. All the thread does in this case is keep the seal closed. AN fittings fall into this category, they use straight threads with a 37 degree taper to seal.

There are two parts to an AN hose end. The first part is called the "Socket" and is the end of the fitting containing female threads and is slipped onto the hose. The second part is is called the "Nipple" and it consists of the "Cutter", a tube, and the AN fitting. No lube or sealer of any kind is used on the AN fitting but you do use light oil or anti-sieze is used on the female threads of the Socket and/or the male threads on the Cutter.

ok... so I have adapters that go from -6AN to 1/8" NPT to go into my regulator... so your recominding tape on the 1/8-reg connection? (I hate pipe dope) And I have some never seez i can use for all the AN-AN connections... I have a male 6am "T" fitting... that hooks up to my SS hard lines using AN fittings... so I CAN or CAN'T but anit seiz on them? Also I should probably use tape on my 1/8 NPT fuel gauge connection then huh?

Makes sense now that I think about it.. AN uses flared fittings.. those do the sealing not the threads.. I gotcha.

Thanx

-Ed

Regardinging the use of teflon tape on NPTs. Start the tape back at least three threads from the end of the fitting! This is an aviation thing and is for a good reason. You don't want teflon tape to get into your fuel system!!! It has a habit of clogging orfices. The alternative is to use a very small amount of the teflon based pipe dope...just enough to fill the threads and no more! After install a NPT fitting with teflon based pipe dope, just wipe the excess off for a clean look. If you use the tape, it is harder to remove the excess and if you prefer to leave the excess, you have to live with a white ring around the fitting.