HybridZ

I don't want A/C?

Guest Navy280Z

Guest Navy280Z

So here's the deal. I hate A/C. I'm from Georgia, now live in Maryland. I haven't used the A/C in two years...

"With my [windows] down so my hair can blow

The girlies on standby waving just to say hi

Did you stop no I just drove by"

...without any air conditioning. Well, I had one of those girlies with me, and she wanted the A/C so that the wind wouldn't mess up her hair. Grrrr.... so I reluctantly turned on the A/C, only to be greated with a horrible grating noise. Then I switched it back to vent with the blowers, but still have this terrible noise. It occurs most often right after I shift up or down...it's actually more of a grind noise I think...

Anyway, I popped the hood, and the noise seems to be coming from the compressor. I'm thinking the clutch went bad on it?

So here's my intentions. I'm going to take out the stupid thing. Why have it if it's just extra weight anyway? And that's probably the only date I'll get for a while, so who cares? My question really is do I pull the whole thing out and put in a pully, or just don't turn a belt around it?

In the first case, anybody know where I can get a proper sized pully?

In the second case, anybody know what size belt I would need?

Thanks for your input. Word to your mother.

If you are going to take the system out completely, you just need a shorter belt. Trying to guess at the part number is pointless, just go get a piece of rope, put it around the pullies that are still there, tie a knot in it, and take it to the store with you. Find a belt the same length, and you are set.

Sounds like the bearing in the idler adjuster pulley (not the AC compressor) is bad. Very common problem.

BTW, the AC compressor does not share a belt with anything else. If you do not want the AC then you can simply remove the AC belt.

Guest Navy280Z

Thanks all for your input. I'm gonna get that sucker out of there tonight hopefully.

BTW, finally finished the body kit, the paint, the removal of the antenna (along with welding the hole), the putting in of the "hidden" antenna, the new CD deck, the window tinting. Also got new tires, wheels, caps, etc. All that's left now are my gauge faces and blue bulbs and the lights that go in the air dam. Oh, and new valve stem caps (some bastard stole them and they'd only been on 36 hours). Pictures anybody?