HybridZ

what do you guys perfer

Part by part could be an expensive way to build an engine. Especially FI.

Complete, running LT1's with all wires, sensors, computer and auto transmissions can be had for less than $1700.

Carbs have a lot of proponents. They are much less expensive intially and can be tuned without a lot of expensive equipment. They can make big HP numbers also. But they can't retune themselves for cold weather or altitude like a FI, computer controlled car can. IMO FI is the way to go for a car that is going to be street driven.

If you want carbs, better decide before you drop $$ on LT1 parts. LT1's can be converted to carbs, but why incurr the added expense? Just start with a carbed SBC.

I had to make the same decision. I went with the LT1. I wondered the Internet found a LT1/T56 for $3,000. Called the junkyard told them I wanted the motor and the car, had to hear it run. I was driving from 4hrs.

Anyway, I got there they had stripped this smashed up 95 Camero and had it running for me...

Many hours later, its cleaned up, and in my 280Z.. Running!!

Still a long way from finished but it starts on a dime. Did not have to touch a thing regarding tuning or adjustments.

I should have 280 HP and real good gas mileage. For $1700 I can buy the LT4 kit and jump it to 425 HP... Heads cam and intake..

Motor went in like a piece of cake.

Did have to study the wiring and learn to understand it. That is a handful of work you do not have to do with a carb. Also a lot of extra wires to manage,,

I think I'm prouder of this achievement than if it was a carbed 350..

I also went the LT1 route and I'm very glad I did. I've had carbed high HP motors before and they can get very finicky when it's cold and I was always twiddling with the carbs trying to get them "dialed" in.

The LT1 does require a rework of the stock harness or an aftermarket harness but once it's running it just fires up. I accidently fired mine for the first time while testing the starter circuit. I should have unplugged the fuse for the fuel pump but thought "it won't fire. I'm not gonna worry about it". Wrong, it turned over twice and lit off. A carb motor will never do that even in good tune.

Anyway, they are extra work but it's woth it in the long run.

Wheelman

I also did the LT1 (since pulled it for something a tad more exciting). It is a great little package, but with the LS1s getting cheaper and hop up parts getting more plentiful, and with mount kits available now, I cannot see any reason to go with anything else (from an OEM transplant point of view). It is hands down a better package. But, if you can find a 94-96 LT1 for a good price, pick it up. The wiring is very easy (Don't waste your money on an aftermarket harness).

Tim

is there motor mounts made to put a ls1 in the 280zx's yet?

Nope and I really doubt there ever will be. There just isnt a demand for it. The SBC mounts will work for the older engines and the LT1 in a 280ZX.

Take a peek at my site if you want to see how I have my LT1/T56 mounted in my 80' 280ZX.

Guy

Making motor mounts is not really that complicated. All you really need to do is take your time and think about how every thing else will clear(things like exhaust clearance, accesory clearances, oil pan clearance, hood clearance, firewall clearance, etc...).

However if you dont have a welder this could be an issue.

Guy