HybridZ

Huge dilema...

hat1324

Sitting in my drivway is a 4/74 datsun with less then 25k on it, but looks like its got over 200k.

Rusted floor, batery tray, hole in the engine bay, rusted sheetmetal in the hatch and a few other bad spots.. I removed the tranny and driveshaft.. the rear is locked so I cant move it(i think the P brake is on). the front passenger pannel is smashed, the dash is cracked.. the seats are awesome but thats about it..

oh yeah rockers are rusted

there is a 280 Z 110 miles away from me that MIGHT run, it needs a new battery and has been sitting.. Now from what the guy has told me, and what the pics show it has no reall problems. few spot rustings and a dirty engine bay.. Hes willing to let me come out and look at it no problem, and offered to deliver it to me if I won his ebay auction.. it went for 510 and didnt meet the reserve, he said it was very close and was willing to negotiate. I think hed take 550 or 600

THE DELIMA:

I REALLY WANT THAT Z. I think it would save me tons of money in restoration(dash, passenger side pannels, floorboards, engine bay)

and think that my swap would be much easyer..

BUT ITS A 260!!! i know its nothing special but it seams rare enough, and Ive allready got about 1k into this chassis.. i was going to swap parts but dunno..

ive got alot of parts for my Z, but not in it.. I need a welder.. but I could use the money for the welder and get this Z. but then have to wait a bit for the welder....

i could pirate parts(driverside pannel, headlight buckets,wheels taillights, side markers et) at get a wrecker to give me $100 for the Z chassis and the 280 motor sitting in my garage, id get scrap price but with the parts i wouldnt take that bad of a hit...

I NEED HELP...

Do what ever you can to get the nicer shell. I had a '77 that the salt gods did a good job on, and I tried in vain to restore it. I'm glad I finnally had the presence of mind to scrap that one and start with a nice rust free AZ car.

It might be changing, especially with some of the prices of the 280's lately on

Ebay, but IMHO if you're trying to restore a 260 or 280 because of it's rarity, and or value, you're restoring the wrong car.

Guest Battle Pope

Werd.

Do everything you can to get the nicer shell. Rarity? Why do you think Nissan only made the 260 for such a short time? :lol: Also, why is it the most common model that I see for sale? :P

If you are restoring for value, you should be looking for a 240z in the southwest.

For my hybrid I bought a '76 280 from another member here who was 200ish miles away from me. The car's got surface rust but the floors are solid and the frame rails are solid so for 500 bucks I think I did okay.